Re: [Epic] Tactic Critique

From: Eugene E.W. <eug_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 12:03:47 -0400

----------
Eugene-

Eldar have the substantial advantage of easy access to Psykers. This makes
their close assaults particularily fearsome.

The 'nid's do too, though, and trying to out-cc them is often futile. You
can pounce on the flanks, sometimes...

>From your comments, I surmise that you are an Eldar players. You mentioned
that you like to blow up your opponents rather than CC them. I would like
to know how you would do this. I'm eldar commander and I've tried. Eldar
just have no firepower anymore. And what they do have cost to much. Also,
Eldar artillary is not that effective. Yes, you place BM's but unless you
place 5 or more. (Which requires 7 Nightspinners on overwatch) then it does
not do whole lot. I wish I had artillary that killed things. I'm just
interested in you tactics here. I normally play imperials by the way.
-----------------------------------------------------James
Nugent----------------------------------------

Actually, I usually play the imperials too, but one of my opponents uses
Eldar, so I do feel qualified to comment. IMHO, Eldar have the capabilities
to dish out as much or more fire than any of the other races. I know this
because I have experienced it first-hand. A quick summary of the things
which Eldar have detonated my troops with:

Engines of Vaul: d6 anti-tank shots is truly fearsome. They have less armor
than imperial super-heavy tanks for the same point cost, but it doesn't
matter because they pop-up in the war-machine phase, so they rarely get
hit.

Firestorms: the only effective flak unit because of the 45 cm range; and
they are perfectly capable of exploding ground targets, also.

Pheonix Bombers: 6 fp flyers. 'Nuf said.

Support weapon batteries: cheap and effective; anti-tank weapons are very
nasty.

Vypers and Jetbikes: what they lack in range, they make up for in speed.
They have lots of firepower, which, if they are handled correctly, can do
much more than just win firefights.

Dreadnoughts:a very nice, fire-powerful support unit for any infantry
detachment

Titans: Brimming with anti-tank/distortion shots, as well as straight
firepower, and very annoying to try to kill. Those holo-fields are nasty!
My warlord titan has a chainfist on perpetual standby, waiting for these
guys to show up...

Admittedly, Eldar don't have powerful artillery along IG lines, but pop-up
attacks fulfill a similar function: shooting over terrain. Eldar have lots
of stuff to blow people up with.

                                Regards,
                                          Eugene