RE: [Epic] Tactic Critique

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 16:11:55 -0500

>Mark A Shieh wrote:
>> Yeah, I always tried to minimize casualties by fielding lots
>> of bikes (two dead Guardians (now 3) as opposed to 5) and vehicles.
>> But fielding Dreads and Wraithguard don't particularly work for the
>> Eldar. There's a dead hero inside each one, and by installing it in a
>> war machine, it's no longer contributing to the infinity circuit in
>> the craftworld. Although the Eldar themselves seem to have forgotten
>> the last hope of the race (I haven't seen it in fluff for a while),
>> they're hoping to create something to rival Slaneesh by collecting
>> enough Eldar souls in an infinity circuit. I think.
>>
>> Mark
>
><lurk mode off> I've always done well with a Warhost, pretty nasty
>amounts of fire with all those Guardians and Falcons. Plus, my opponents
>always tend to try for the Falcons. How many crew in a Falcon, 2 or 3
>maybe?, compared to a squad of 5. I agree on increased use of Spirit
>Hosts but I've always wondered how durable spiritstones are. Otherwise,
>if the machine is pulverized by say a Titan weapon, the spirit is
>released into the warp and damned, hunted down by Slaanesh and all.
>Wouldn't all Eldar be kind of scared? I would be if I were risking
>eternal damnation in every battle.
> Interesting bit about a rival to Slaanesh. I don't think I've ever
>seen that before. You'd need a large critical mass of spirits though,
>prolly more than one Infinity Circuit. Hmm...isn't the symbol of
>Asuryan the phoenix? Rebirth from death...interesting... <lurk mode on>
>
> Justin

----> The problem with the Eldar is exactly this: They don't use
machines
without a crew of either live Eldar or Dead Eldar, so they can't win
either
 way. Spirit Stones aren't neccessarily destroyed just because the
vehicle
is (in 40K, anyway), but they aren't immune to damage either. 40K
Wraithguard tend to pop pretty easy for a "mechanical" unit, but the
stone
is only destroyed part of the time. You'd think they could come up with
some kind of robotic unit utterly free of spirit stones. Better yet,
(and
more "edgy") they could use captured spirits/brains/whatever of other
races. An SF book I read a while back had "mindslavers" - ships directed
by disembodied human brains, which were the meanest ships they could
field. Now whether it would be out of character for Eldar to use a
cyborg
type thing based on other races' body parts is another thread...how
desperate are they?

        Also, I assume you're talking SM/TL above with the War Host.
I would almost always take the tanks and guardians as seperate units.
It's only a few points more, and that way the tanks aren't chained to
the
grunts by the formation rule - maybe you already do this. In addition,
if
you *always* take guardians in the tanks, your opponent will get pretty
agitated the first time they drop scorpions on top of something or
reapers on the tallest ground on the table.

Chris Miller