Re: [Epic] Tactic Critique

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 17:44:17 -0400

James Nugent wrote:

> The eldar airforce has one big advantage - really high
> intercept values. Which means that no matter what, they get to
> shoot everything first (unless they're facing Doomwings). Every
> other army's airforce is simply outclassed. The bugs have a
> chance just because Gargoyles are dirt cheap, but everyone else
> might as well leave their planes at home.
>
> It's not that much of an advantage. If I recall correctly a
> nightwing cost 10 points more than a Thunderbolt, so they pay
> for it. (40 pts, as opposed to 30 pts)

        And in an actual dogfight, the Nightwings will get
to drive off most of the opposing Tbolts before the Tbolts
can even fire. If they are 40 and 30 points respectively,
and you take the example of 3 nightwings vs 4 tbolts (equal
points) - 2 tbolts (on average) will get driven off (regardless
of whether the nightwings are on intercept or not), and in
return 1 nightwing will be chased away. End result: 2 of
each is left, and the remainging nightwings are superior to
the remaining tbolts.

        The only way being cheaper helps is if you're MUCH
cheaper - ie gargoyles, and this is really only effective
because flyers can only shoot at one target (a nightwing
has to waste both shots on 1 gargoyle, when splitting fire
among all the gargoyles would be more effective).

Scott
shupes_at_...