RE: [Epic] Tactic Critique

From: James Nugent <jnug1453_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 07:14:15 -0400

>>Firestorms: the only effective flak unit because of the 45 cm range;
>>and they are perfectly capable of exploding ground targets, also.
>
>They are real expensive, and Hydras are actually better against most
>fliers. I did an analysis of this once. A hydra has a better chance
>to hit a flyer with 5+ armour, but they firestorm has a better chance
>of a kill.

Oh, sure, just put a negative spin on everything :). The hydra is,
arguably, a better dedicated AA platform. However, the hydra can
double as a 45 cm pop-up-choose-any-target tank killer. This means
you can move it on the board 20-30 cm (or more), put it on "!" orders
the next turn, and if no targets present themselves, you can snipe
enemy units on the other half of the board. Try doing that with
with a hydra. They cost the same as a land-raider and are more
versatile. If I had access to them (what's an AT shot?), I would
field them as tank killers and use their Flak ability as a bonus.

>>Support weapon batteries: cheap and effective; anti-tank weapons
>>are very nasty.

>Actually, as an Imperial player, you have these also. I think they
>are also called support weapons.
>Same stats, cost 2 pts less.

There you go with them negative vibes again.

>Vypers and Jetbikes: what they lack in range, they make up for in speed.
>They have lots of firepower, which, if they are handled correctly, can do
>much more than just win firefights.
>
>Odd, I've never seen these do much other than win firefights.

That might be a difference in tactics. If you're willing to send in a
sacrificial lamb (or two) to range the enemy (keep inching him until
he gets clobbered with snap-fire, now you know how far out 10 cm is :),
you could get your detatchment in gunnery range. Once in range,
the bikes are just as shooty as heavyweapons, falcons, or predators,
and cheaper. You use your high strategy rating to hopefully get off
the first shot, and shoot your bikes before they get punished.

David