RE: [Epic] scenarios

From: James Nugent <jnug1453_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 12:42:51 -0400

[----->] .
How do you create a well balanced scenario for Epic? I'm fed =
up with
only "xxxx points vs xxxx points" battles (I think it's the same pr=
oblem
I have with backgrounds, I like to know why I'm fighting even
for lit=
tle battles...).

[----->] <rant> I know what you mean. The scenarios the=
y give you in the book are a good starting place, but otherwise not that gr=
eat. Also, I have found it difficult to create a balance scenaor for any wa=
rgame without specifying forces. For instance if you have x points vs y poi=
nts with z special conditions/objectives. Where x <> y. I've found you have=
 problems with game balance if you let people choose their own forces. You'=
ll have this problem even with people who arn't power gamers. For instance =
things that arn't normally unbalanceing may become so. I like playing a gam=
e where the forces are decided before hand, it makes for a interesting batt=
le as it is pure tactics, there is no 'Doh! I should have brung...' [-----=
>] However it is hard on the scenario designer to pick balnaced forces. Al=
so, I know I like to design scenarios with unconventional forces. It's less=
 common in E40K, but in Sm/TL there were a lot of units that were viewed as=
 useless. Gorgons(Well armoured transports no faster than the infantry they=
 carried, who were Ig and useless anyway). Tunneler(too random). Warwalkers=
(bad 75cm gun and good 25 cm gun.) come to mind. There were others. I lik=
es scenarios where these units became usefull. There are a few in E40K also=
. Also I like scenarios where common troopers, like IG tacticals, and guard=
ians were usefull.
</rant>
[----->] ------------------------------------=
=
"Your incorrect assumptions are threefold."
"You assume law still reigns in=
 the Five Galaxies"
"You assume that we would be bound by precedents and pr=
ecepts from the last 10 million years."
"But your most incorrect assumption=
 of all is to assume that we care."
                                        -David Brin, Infinity's Shore