RE: [Epic] Tactic Critique

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 12:18:35 -0500

>> I thought the Nurgle tower looked interesting, but it was too slow,
>> too big, and too easy to kill, especially when it was full of troops...
>
> Easy to kill? It was a GD, just like the LoB - you could
>sacrifice cards to keep it alive. Even if it did die, everyone
>inside got a 4+ chance to survive. AND it moved faster than foot
>troops, making it ideal to cart around Plague Bearers, Beasts of
>Nurgle, Great Unclean Ones, and of course Mortarion. The Tower was
>one of the few useful daemon engines.

----> Greater demons were hard to kill? Eldar certainly don't have a
problem
with them - no card save against a warp/psychic attack, and the list of
those
attacks just kept getting longer in the Q&As. Prism Cannons & Titan
Psychic lances were just two easy ways to waste'em. Paralyze him with
a wave serpent and dump out some Harlies on him.Ork weirdboys and
(I believe) shokk attack guns were both this type. The imperials
probably had
the fewest psychic attacks , but even then, you got 3 cards per GD.
That's
going to get burned up quick against a titan or artillery heavy force.
        Sure, stock that baby full. And when he does go down, I have
a 50-50 chance of wasting everything inside it without additional shots.
I don't think it was that much faster, either. Maybe a little faster,
but
it had the same prob the Capitol Imperialis did- makes it an even better
 target.
        Don't get the wrong impression - GD's weren't "useless", I just
 don't think they were as tough as they seem on paper. People also
tended to do stupid things, like the WD battle report where the guy
 fires the gutbuster at a bloodthirster - what a waste! I managed ,
once, to have some grey knights teleport down on target to surround
 a bloodthirster - "allright, I'm finally gonna kick a 'thirster's
behind in
CC." Then he played the "growth"card. What does it do? It doubles
 a models CAF. The knights didn't even slow him down...

>> "When it comes to Daemon Engines, Just say KHORNE!"
>
> That's a joke, right?
>
>Scott
>shupes_at_...

 I agree doomwings were the best of the Tzeentch engines, but
the Khorne units included numerous shots, some with template
weapons, some which fired blast markers (rare for chaos), some
transport ability, a generally high CAF, and the property of getting
better whenever you were ahead on VP's.