Re: [Epic] Tactic Critique

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 14:30:43 -0400

Miller, Chris wrote:

> > Easy to kill? It was a GD, just like the LoB - you could
> >sacrifice cards to keep it alive. Even if it did die, everyone
> >inside got a 4+ chance to survive. AND it moved faster than foot
> >troops, making it ideal to cart around Plague Bearers, Beasts of
> >Nurgle, Great Unclean Ones, and of course Mortarion. The Tower was
> >one of the few useful daemon engines.
>
> ----> Greater demons were hard to kill? Eldar certainly don't have a
> problem
> with them

        Which is why taking the Tower against Eldar (or Tyranids)
was (is) a mistake. It was good against anyone else, though.

> The imperials
> probably had
> the fewest psychic attacks , but even then, you got 3 cards per GD.
> That's
> going to get burned up quick against a titan or artillery heavy force.

        Hey, if my opponent is going to concentrate all his fire
on a Plague Tower full of Beasts and ignore everything else rumbling
his way... fine by me. But generally, the Tower isn't a primary
target. To be fair, my opponents usually don't go for the 'suck
out all the cards early on' strategy (which really only works in
small games anyway, IMHO unless you're playing against squats).

> I don't think it was that much faster, either. Maybe a little faster,

        30cm compared to 20cm. Plus it was a SHV, so it wasn't
likely to get bogged down in CC (not that anyone in their right
minds would have assaulted 10 Beasts marching forward).

> but
> it had the same prob the Capitol Imperialis did- makes it an even better
> target.

        Capitol moved 10cm, max. Couldn't even go 20cm. And
you could stick 60 stands inside... (or 6 SH tanks) Why you'd
want to is beyond me.

> I managed ,
> once, to have some grey knights teleport down on target to surround
> a bloodthirster - "allright, I'm finally gonna kick a 'thirster's
> behind in
> CC." Then he played the "growth"card.

        Heh. I love doing that. But then, what were you attacking
a Bloodthirster (one of the most useless GDs) with Grey Knights
for anyway? GK are really only well-spent trying to kill Magnus
or Mortartion.

> >> "When it comes to Daemon Engines, Just say KHORNE!"
> >
> > That's a joke, right?
>
> I agree doomwings were the best of the Tzeentch engines, but
> the Khorne units included numerous shots, some with template
> weapons, some which fired blast markers (rare for chaos), some
> transport ability, a generally high CAF, and the property of getting
> better whenever you were ahead on VP's.

        And were 3 for 300 points, 3 VPs for killing 2. For
killing 2 really big targets with a 2+ armor save. 2 really
big targets with (at best) 50cm range weapons, that by
definition has to get close to the enemy to do anything. 2
really big targets that you can't play chaos cards on, and
thus are easily swarmed by bikes. There's no way those guys
were even remotely useful.

Scott
shupes_at_...