Re: [Epic] Tactic Critique

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 16:12:41 -0400

Mark A Shieh wrote:

> > > I agree doomwings were the best of the Tzeentch engines, but
> > > the Khorne units included numerous shots, some with template
> > > weapons, some which fired blast markers (rare for chaos), some
> > > transport ability, a generally high CAF, and the property of getting
> > > better whenever you were ahead on VP's.
> >
> > And were 3 for 300 points, 3 VPs for killing 2. For
> > killing 2 really big targets with a 2+ armor save. 2 really
> > big targets with (at best) 50cm range weapons, that by
> > definition has to get close to the enemy to do anything. 2
> > really big targets that you can't play chaos cards on, and
> > thus are easily swarmed by bikes. There's no way those guys
> > were even remotely useful.
>
> Mmm. I'm using the Khorne engines when possible just because
> I'm trying to make a Khorne (plus mortal followers) army.

        Blech. Couldn't do that myself, most of my khorne
stuff is unpainted... that black, red & brass color scheme
is just boooooring. Blue & yellow is much nicer. -)

> But don't
> forget, the Cannon of Khorne is a Khorne engine,

        It's not a 'daemon engine.'

> I hated those
> things, the fear factor on those things is immense.

        Yeah, but it's not like they can accomplish a whole
lot. At least, 1 detachment isn't going to do much. One
cannon blows up, the other two scatter off into nowhere land.
The best use for them that I found (since I only have 1 unit
worth) is to knock down buildings, since you still have a
decent chance of hitting even with the scatter.

> But overall, I'd tend to agree. A unit that can't go on FF,
> and doesn't have long ranged guns, but is expensive and not all that
> great at CC just doesn't really have a use in a Khornate army. I
> liked the Brass Scorpions anyways, as a +7? CAF was pretty
> respectable, and it was able to go into woods.

        Brass Scorps are one of the better khorne engines,
but they only had an armor of 3+, making them even more
fragile than the rest.

Scott
shupes_at_...