Re: [Epic] Tactic Critique

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 16:33:43 -0400 (EDT)

Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...> writes:
> Mark A Shieh wrote:
> > Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...> writes:
> Blech. Couldn't do that myself, most of my khorne
> stuff is unpainted... that black, red & brass color scheme
> is just boooooring.

        The three colors work okay together, and besides, those are
just base colors. It's in the detailing and shading that I tend to
try to be creative. I'm hardly trying to do my painting with 3 pots
of paint and no mixing. :)

> > But don't
> > forget, the Cannon of Khorne is a Khorne engine,
>
> It's not a 'daemon engine'.

        Doh. I forget, what are they, Chaos Squat-built?

> > I hated those
> > things, the fear factor on those things is immense.
>
> Yeah, but it's not like they can accomplish a whole
> lot. At least, 1 detachment isn't going to do much. One
> cannon blows up, the other two scatter off into nowhere land.
> The best use for them that I found (since I only have 1 unit
> worth) is to knock down buildings, since you still have a
> decent chance of hitting even with the scatter.

        Hmm. I guess they do have the Doomweaver and Warp Hunter
problem (auto-scatter)... I could never hit the broad side of a barn
with either of these two units. In fact, I don't think I've ever hit
anything except an occasional tac stand with them. I just remember
watching my Chaos opponent roll lots of Titan Aiming dice whenever he
got to shoot his Cannons. With a -4 save modifier, why bother aiming
for the wings... I was just very, very lucky with the aiming dice
that game, otherwise my Titans would have exploded in quick
succession.

> > But overall, I'd tend to agree. A unit that can't go on FF,
> > and doesn't have long ranged guns, but is expensive and not all that
> > great at CC just doesn't really have a use in a Khornate army. I
> > liked the Brass Scorpions anyways, as a +7? CAF was pretty
> > respectable, and it was able to go into woods.
>
> Brass Scorps are one of the better khorne engines,
> but they only had an armor of 3+, making them even more
> fragile than the rest.

        True, but by sitting on a woodsy objective, you're hopefully
not being shot at as much. And after the big guns die down a bit, you
can push them to the edge of the woods and keep the -1 to hit cover of
the woods.

Mark