Re: [Epic] Proposed IG army vs. Orks

From: Christian Nielsen <raveallnight_at_...>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 18:21:38 -0700 (PDT)

---"Eugene E.W." wrote:

> > From: Christian Nielsen
> >
> > Imperial Guard Supreme Commander
> >
> > 1 x Imperial Guard Colonel, in a Chimera and including a
psyker
> > 1 x Ogryn squad
> >
> > Total = 74 points
> >
> > Imperial Guard Infantry Detachment
> >
> > 2 x Command squads, both with psykers
> > 6 x Imperial Guard squads, 2 with commissars
> > 3 x Ratling squads
> > 3 x Leman Russ tanks
> >

> > 3) Not much infantry; Hmmm... I would have preferred to take more
> > infantry, but I only wanted to use my troops on the new bases.
Don't
> > ask why.
> >
> > Sit back and shoot. The infantry detachment will move slowly up
the
> > centre with the war engines, whilst the tank detachment will
attemp an
> > outflanking manouver. They will be supported by the artillery
> > detachments, which will alternate firing their respective siege
> > artillery. I considered taking titans, but I wanted an all IG
force.
> > Feels better to me, especially seeing that the IG has everything it
> > needs without allies.
> >

> Your army seems fine: it'll be a problem if he brings a lot of
speedsta's
> with death rays, but even then your artilery could well destroy them
before
> they can hurt those precious tanks.
>
> I commend your self discipline in not taking any marines at all,
> espescially knowing that the increase in your command rating from 2
to 4
> that a single marine detachment would bring would shift the strategic
> advantage to your side...
>
> I can't really blame you for not taking more infantry; I think it's
very
> unfair that full sized Imperial Gaurd detachments have to pay 75
points for
> commanders rather than 25 -- or 0, like the 'Nids. One of the cool
things
> about the Gaurd in the old SM/TL was how easy it was for them to
field
> really big groups of sacrificial infantry; now, that's much more
tricky.
> Ironically, it is more efficient to field large infantry detachments
by
> buying them as armor detachments; you take 10 hellhounds (or perhaps
> Griffons or Leman Russ's), and then you can field 20 stands of
infantry.
> My little gaming group actually uses a house rule where IG command
stands
> cost seven points each, and one must be upgraded to detachment HQ
for +25
> points.... sound familiar? This allows IG to realistically field big
> infantry detachments, instead of just artillery and such. It can be
hard
> enough to persuade IG players to use infantry at all....
>
> Do your command squads have captains? It's worth it to protect the
Psykers.

------------------->Maybe I'll give one of them a captain. But
remember, you SHOULD only have one captain in a company.
Taking forex 3 command squads all with captains doesn't
really make sense.

> Your armour detachment, I notice, includes sentinels. While mixing up
> armour values in the same detachment can protect against overwatch
fire
> somewhat, I tend to prefer using sentinels with infantry; I find that
> detachments with mixed armour values suffer heavy casualties -- it's
a game
> mechanic thing, but it can be important. If you field the detachment
as is,
> try to arrange it so that either the Leman Russ's eat up 4's and 5's
that
> would otherwise kill sentinels and hellhounds, or you sentinels and
> hellhounds eat up 6's that would otherwise kill Leman Russ's. I
prefer the
> first arrangement, myself.

--------------------> I'm just trying to work out how the Leman Russes
can eat up the 4's and 5's. From the rules, even if the units with 4
and 5 armour value are right at the back of a detachment, you can
still kill them if every other unit has a higher armour value. The
main reason for including them is for the reason you pointed out-
overwatch re-rolls.

> Regards, Eugene

Thanx for your comments.

Christian

===
"90cm is short ranged?!? ...you must be an IG player."

                        Scott Shupe, 25/7/97

Visit my Epic homepage at
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/4109