[Epic] Proposed IG army vs. Orks

From: Christian Nielsen <raveallnight_at_...>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 05:32:13 -0700 (PDT)

I am likely to be playing against my old 2nd ed. Ork opponent soon
(whom I haven't seen for a while). I haven't played against Orks yet
in E40K, so I am a little unsure of what to take. I came up with the
following list (approx. 2000-3000 points), and would like it if other
listers could give me some advice.

Imperial Guard Supreme Commander

     1 x Imperial Guard Colonel, in a Chimera and including a psyker
     1 x Ogryn squad

Total = 74 points

Imperial Guard Infantry Detachment

     2 x Command squads, both with psykers
     6 x Imperial Guard squads, 2 with commissars
     3 x Ratling squads
     3 x Leman Russ tanks

Total = 288 points

Imperial Guard Tank Detachment

     7 x Leman Russ tanks
     3 x Hellounds
     3 x Griffons
     1 x Sentinel squadron, consisting of 2 Sentinels
     1 x Imperial Guard squad, in a Chimera and including a Commissar

Total = 392 points

Imperial Guard Super Heavy Tank Company

     3 x Baneblades (Stormhammers)

Total = 330 points

Imperial Guard Super Heavy Tank Company

     3 x Shadowswords (Stormblades)
     1 x Baneblade

Total = 440 points

Imperial Guard Super Heavy Tank Company

     1 x Imperial Leviathan

Total = 330 points

Imperial Guard Artillery Detachment

     3 x Heavy Artillery units
     6 x Siege Artillery units

Total = 472 points

Imperial Guard Artillery Detachment

     3 x Daethstrike launchers
     6 x Siege Artillery units

Total = 508 points

Imperial Air Detachment

     3 x Marauders

Total = 160 points

Grand Total = 2994 points
___________________________

Immediately apparent:

1) No air defences; Yes, I know... But my opponent has no Ork Flyers
(that I know of)

2) Lots'a artillery; Yes, but I feel it is in-character (well, I
would, wouldn't I?)

3) Not much infantry; Hmmm... I would have preferred to take more
infantry, but I only wanted to use my troops on the new bases. Don't
ask why.

4) Baneblade with the Shadowswords; This is to soak up any BM's that
the Shadowswords take (and thus more death rays!)

Tactics:

Sit back and shoot. The infantry detachment will move slowly up the
centre with the war engines, whilst the tank detachment will attemp an
outflanking manouver. They will be supported by the artillery
detachments, which will alternate firing their respective siege
artillery. I considered taking titans, but I wanted an all IG force.
Feels better to me, especially seeing that the IG has everything it
needs without allies.

Comments, please... (awaiting flaming)

Christian

===
"90cm is short ranged?!? ...you must be an IG player."

                        Scott Shupe, 25/7/97

Visit my Epic homepage at
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/4109