Re: [Epic] roolzboyz: close combat weapons and holofields

From: Ken Taborek <oberon_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 13:27:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Francois Bruntz wrote:

> Ken wrote :
> >The holofield saves against everything. Barrage, psychic, close
> >assault,
> >standard firepower, special weapon, whatever. I don't like it, but
> >accept it. I fear my regular Eldar opponents Revenant Titans. That
> >2+
> >save bugs the hell out of me. But, I have devised tactics which
> >allow me
> >to destroy them most of the time. Sometimes I lose even though
> >I've
> >destroyed them, sometimes I win even though they're still kicking.
> >

> I'm interested in your strategies as my regular opponent is an Eldar
> player who seems to love Revenants...
>

> Francois Bruntz
> Apprenti MIAGE (Universite Paris XII - IBM France)
>
> Please visit my Epic page :
> http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dungeon/2370/

Let's see. The first time I played him, I just _knew_ he was going to
take a pair of Revenants. I worked up a little suprise for him. I took a
IG Arty detachment which consisted of 6 Deathstrikes. I fed each Revenant
3 missiles, and they both died spectacularly. Point for point, I won that
exchange. However, he still managed to kick my a**, mostly due to a close
assault that went sour (I rolled a 1, he rolled a 6).
Since then, I've become a little more conservative. I usually have an
arty detachment (hmm, actually, I _always_ have an arty detach :), and
I'll target the Revanants untill I get a hit in. The critical (always
rolled for Eldar Titans) usually takes down the holofield. Then, Land
Raiders or anything else in range can usually kill it with a few more
hits. Easy, right? Don't you believe it! The Revenant seems to be a
gamble. If I kill them early, and haven't had to concentrate most of my
available fire on them, I usually win. If I fire at them for turns
without seeing a "1" come up, I usually lose. I tried ignoring them once,
so I could shoot up the close assault troops, and that was a disaster.

I'm really bothered that they are cheaper than Warhounds. On average, it
takes the same number of dice to effect either, untill the void shields go
down. Then the Warhound dies on any critical roll of 8+. Seems you get
more for less with the Revenants.

--Ken Taborek oberon_at_...
"Show respect for age. Drink good Scotch for a change."- random fortune