Re: [Epic] Chaos strategy rating

From: Chris White <chris_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 12:31:23 -0700

At 10:00 AM 7/28/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Francois Bruntz wrote:
>>
>> Salutations,
>>
>> I fought against Chaos last friday night and during (and after) the
>> battle we found some problems about the Chaos strategy rating.
>> If my memory is good, the value is :
>> 5 : only Chaos Space Marines
>> 3 : Chaos Space Marines + Cultits/Daemons
>> 2 : only Cultists/Daemons
>>
>> These are my questions :
>> - Are daemon engines considered as Daemons? ie Space Marines
>> detachments with daemon engines as support have a strategy rating of 3
>> or of 5?
>
> An all chaos marine army would consist of only 3
>detachment types: chaos marine infantry, chaos marine armor,
>and a chaos marine supreme commander. Anything else is not
>chaos marine equipment, and an army using chaos engine or
>chaos flyer detachments is going to have a SR of 3 at best.
>
> The same would go for Chaos Marine infantry
>detachments with daemon engine units taken as support.
>"Only chaos space marine" means what it says - it is meant
>to represent Chaos armies composed of nothing but traitor
>marines (& their marine vehicles) that have only tenous
>links to Chaos and the Warp.

        I'm afraid I have to disagree with you here. I think it can be argued,
even from a fluff standpoint, that these engines were created by the Chaos
Powers specifically to complement their new ( at the time ) playthings,
i.e., Humans, Dark Eldar, whatever and therefore can keep up with those
they are designed to support.

        Of course, on the other hand, Chaos Marines' SR of 5 comes when they are
using the tactics they relied on during the heresy, and there was
certainlyno "drop protocol" for a Brass Scorpion.

        I guess it can be argued either way. What does everyone think? Whatever
the result, it should be balanced. After all, the Imperium has developed
Razorbacks, Whirlwinds, Land Speeders, etc. since the Heresy; I find it
hard to believe that the forces of Chaos would just be sitting still. They
are depraved, not stupid.

        (By the way, nice Web page Mr Shupe. Anyone interested in Chaos should
check it out and everyone else should tremble in fear!!!)