Re: [Epic] roolzboyz: close combat weapons and holofields

From: Francois Bruntz <fbruntz_at_...>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 02:30:41 PDT

Ken wrote :
>Let's see. The first time I played him, I just _knew_ he was going
>take a pair of Revenants. I worked up a little suprise for him. I
>took a
>IG Arty detachment which consisted of 6 Deathstrikes. I fed each
>Revenant
>3 missiles, and they both died spectacularly. Point for point, I
>won that
>exchange. However, he still managed to kick my a**, mostly due to a
>close
>assault that went sour (I rolled a 1, he rolled a 6).
>Since then, I've become a little more conservative. I usually have
>an
>arty detachment (hmm, actually, I _always_ have an arty detach :),
>and
>I'll target the Revanants untill I get a hit in. The critical
>(always
>rolled for Eldar Titans) usually takes down the holofield. Then,
>Land
>Raiders or anything else in range can usually kill it with a few
>more
>hits. Easy, right? Don't you believe it! The Revenant seems to be
>gamble. If I kill them early, and haven't had to concentrate most
>of my
>available fire on them, I usually win. If I fire at them for turns
>without seeing a "1" come up, I usually lose. I tried ignoring them
>once,
>so I could shoot up the close assault troops, and that was a
>disaster.

As I prefer playing an Space Marine only army, I don't know I will
manage to destroy these titans... A lot of fire power -> A lot of dice
-> some 1 perhaps...

>I'm really bothered that they are cheaper than Warhounds. On
>average, it
>takes the same number of dice to effect either, untill the void
>shields go
>down. Then the Warhound dies on any critical roll of 8+. Seems you
>get
>more for less with the Revenants.

But are warhounds effective in general?

Francois Bruntz
Apprenti MIAGE (Universite Paris XII - IBM France)

Please visit my Epic page :
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dungeon/2370/