Re: [Epic] roolzboyz: close combat weapons and holofields

From: Eugene E.W. <eug_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2097 13:12:40 -0400

> >I'm really bothered that they are cheaper than Warhounds. On
> >average, it
> >takes the same number of dice to effect either, untill the void
> >shields go
> >down. Then the Warhound dies on any critical roll of 8+. Seems you
> >get
> >more for less with the Revenants.
>
> But are warhounds effective in general?
>

> Francois Bruntz
> Apprenti MIAGE (Universite Paris XII - IBM France)
>
> Please visit my Epic page :
> http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dungeon/2370/

I have found them to be very useful. They are fast and have a long range.
They are particularily good at firefights; either by themselves or in
support of other detachments. In pairs, their firepower is impressive: I
once blew up an untouched Gargant with a single volley from two Warhounds
(yes, I was a bit lucky). They are, however, very vulnerable to anti-tank
weapons and, espescially, death rays.

It does seem odd that Revenants are cheaper, though. Revenants are faster
and have more powerful armament. It takes about 40 fp to kill a revenant
(on average), and 41, on average, to kill a warhound--49 if the firepower
is spread over two turns (these figures are actually quite accurate, and
they assume the firing is not overwatch). One must also take into account
the fact that superheavy weapons such as Death Rays and anti-tank guns are
much more effective agaist Warhounds than Revenants. The fact that it is
slightly more difficult to kill a Warhound using straight firepower than it
is to kill a revenant, and the Warhounds 2 additional assault factors, does
not, in my opinion, counterbalance the Revenant's superior firepower and
maneuverability, not to mention its effective immunity to death rays.

I still like Warhounds a lot, I just think revenants are really good for
the points. Oh well, the Imperium still gets support batteries for 2 points
less...

Regards, Eugene