RE: [NetEpic ML] More on Ogres (long)

From: <jyrki.saari_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 11:40:50 +0200

Sorry it took me this long to reply. Anyway, here goes.

[snip]

> > Damage rules for MkI and MkII:
> > The smaller Ogres use the optional superheavy damage table
> modified as
> > below. For all results which cause damage (other than
> damage to track units)
> > and do not destroy the Ogre outright place a damage marker
> beside the Ogre.
> > A MkI is destroyed by three damage markers and MkII by four.
>
> Does anything else in NetEpic use a marker?
>
> I kinda like the idea, (since an Ogre can take 3-4 hits before going
> bye-bye, making them "Ogre-esque"), but I can't recall anything that
> uses them so am afraid it might be a little un-NetEpic-ish.

Damaged superheavies are marked with a damage marker, and since the two
smaller Ogres are about the same size I thought it appropriate.

> > An attacker may always state that he is aiming at the
> tracks. In that case
> > the damage result is automatically considered to be 1 on
> the critical damage
> > table.
>
> It seems odd that you can pick the tracks to shoot at in the
> smaller Ogres,
> but on the bigger Ogre's you have a chance of missing them
> and/or hitting
> other parts of the Ogre. Maybe you can target the tracks and on a 1-3
> it is treated as a 1 on the critical damage table, 4-6 roll on the
> regular table -1 (or something similiar).

This simulates the most common tactic against Ogres: Immobilize them so you
can out maneuvre them and render them unable to bring those Big Guns(tm) to
bear. Besides, out of necessity the tracks are the most weakly armored part
in a Ogre, so even infantry have some chance of actually taking them out.

[snip]

> > Missile rack damage table
> > 1-5: One missile rack destroyed, one missile destroyed as well.
> > 6: One missile rack destroyed, one missile explodes, center
> barrage template
> > on Ogre and work out as if a missile hit dead center.
>
> I can't recall the missile rack damage table very well. But the above
> looks reasonable. What was the issue this was addressing?

The Ogres have both missile racks and unprotected missiles. Unprotected
missiles are, well, unprotected and so are more easily destroyed. With a
missile rack you can only destroy the missile currently in the rack.

[snip]

> All of the above looks good. (Now we just need some reasonable point
> values).

Yep, and to assign those we need playtesting.

> > Some flyers and AA vehicles would also be in order, and I
> would recommend
> > adding field repair Ogres.
>
> Yeah, the Ogre rules I have don't specify fliers. AA guns are covered
> by the laser batteries (both tower and regular). In the fluff, they
> are towed into position and setup around command posts to knock out
> ANYTHING that is airborne (which is why GEV's were developed
> since they
> are capable of "hiding" from the laser batteries). Also I added
> the special ability of ALL Ogre forces to shoot stuff out of the air
> at half their range (if on FF). Built in anti-air systems
> with every unit.
>
> > Opinions? suggestions?
>
> My current thoughts (and I haven't had alot of time to look at them),
> are to remove the "Ogre" bonus to armor (so all Ogre slots will
> get a +1 to their save areas). This means that Infantry will be
> more capable of damaging them. In addition to remove (or make it
> very high (7+)) the flashback result in the secondary batteries
> damage result to stop lucky infantry shots from taking out an Ogre.

Sounds reasonable.

> My other thought is to 1/2 their movement rate. The thought here is
> that "standard" Ogre movement equates to Advance Orders. But since
> Ogre's are command units they get the ability (in NetEpic) to move
> at Charge AND Shoot so their movement would need to be halfed in
> order to bring them back to the correct speed.

True, I forgot about the charge speed.

> Last but not least, I'm slowly coming to the realization that the
> "strength level" of Ogres I want is roughly:
> Ogre Mk III == Reaver Titan
> Ogre Mk IV == Warlord Titan
> Ogre Mk V == a little less than an Imperator Titan
> Ogre Mk VI == a little more than an Imperator Titan
> I'm not 100% sure about this, however.

This looks like a good comparsion. We could give the Ogre chassis the same
cost as the comparable titan and then add the weapons. Like I mentioned
earlier, the primary batteries are the same as Quake cannons (IMO it should
be added that a primary battery can destroy buildings and has a barrage
template) and the secondary batteries are the same as Turbolasers. The AP
batteries are a bit better than carapace multilasers (better to-hit number).
The missiles are a problem, since there is no Titan weapon equivalent. They
are weaker than a barrge missile, however, and so should cost less.

> Thanx for you comments,
> Daryl Lonnon
>
> p.s. Sooner or latter I'm going to run some tests of Ogre's versus
> various Titans and/or Imperial Guard units. See how they do and
> try to get an idea of what point values they should be given.

Excellent. That's exactly what is needed.

Jyrki Saari

-There is no such thing as free lunch because eating takes time and time is
money.