Re: [NetEpic ML] Epic 40K revision

From: <deaconblue3_at_...>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 19:09:26 -0500

Welcome aboard Jason! My comments to your comments are below, with out
further comment:

What I am confused about is the Abuse that is directed towards Jervis
johnson on this list. I received his neewsletter as well, read it and
apparently got a totally different idea. It seemed to me that Jervis was

saying that not only does he like the game, he has heard that there are
others who like it as well. although he enjoys the simplicity of
Epic40K,
he has heard the cries for more detail and is willing to work on it.

-->Things are, in part, not fully directed at Jervis, but he is the
target of opportunity, being the point man for several other people who
are involved behind the scenes. Jervis may well like is game, as he
should, as it is his creation after all. the issue becomes when he
starts over glorifying it, and over stating much of the criticism of it.
Perhaps it's just because I'm a politics veteran, and am far too used to
reading between the lines and reading teh nuances in word choice and
order of thought. Maybe he is being as open and honest as some people
believe. I could be wrong, but I won't hedge my bets on it just yet.
And the cries for more detail have been going on since the day E40K was
released. I was among them, and still am.

I didnt see any attack on anyone about not realizing
his genius or the beauty of his game. I didnt see him attacking this
list
specifically although there may be some history there I am unaware of. I

think the guys who are working in and with fanatic are gamers, like us,
who
enjoy something enough to want to find a way to keep it alive!

-->this does go back along way. It starts about the time SM/TL was
pulled from the marketing lines, with no ample explanation as to why.
Anyone know why it was pulled? I don't. Jervis (and others) have
referred to those who don't "appreciate the legant simpleness of E40K" in
less than complimentary terms. Nothing so direct, but by simply
referring to E40K as a "thinking man's game" he's in effect, insulting
the intelligence of anyone who didn't like it to begin with. Also, there
have been off hand comments about how it was those who didn't like E40K
(yet continued to buy the minis) who killed E40K as a "main line" game.
go figure. we bought the minis, spents $100's on them, yet we're the bad
guys. I don't doubt Jervis' desire to keep Epic alive. He's been in on
the ground floor of Epic since near it's very begining, if not before.
He does genuinely love the game, but is far too enamoured of his own
rules. This new edition has the potential to be the "perfect blend" of
E40K and the older editions, but only if done right, and done with more
than just the Studio guys hammering it out. Some of those at Fanatic are
gamers. Especially the "old guard" as embodied by Rick Priestly and
Nigel Stilman. Those two are still among the best GW has, and Warmaster
is certainly a reflection of their capabilities.

I guess what I dont understand is why so much angst? I am not trying to
be
disrespectful by any means, just curious. i know how you guys feel. I
refuse to play 40K or Fantasy anymore, getting sick of revisions, new
model
lines, new rule sets making my armies and minis obsolete. But epic is a
nice game and I cant wait to get stuck in and start playing!
Anyway, I am not trying to start a flame war, just expressing some
genuine
curiosity and confusion

-->Angst depends on the person. Squat players have a BIG beef with GW
and jervis. Their whole race was just deleted, and for no good reason.
Chaos players had more than half their army lists disappear between
editions. IG Beastmen? SM Leviathans? Gene Stealer cults? Chaos
Cults? All disappeared in the new edition. Mostly, it depends on how
long you've been playing Epic games. Those who've been around a while
have a whole slew of complaints over the years, while those who only came
to Epic with E40K have far fewer, if any. Much of the same complaints I
have about the way Epic went, and is going, are why I stopped playing 40K
entirely a few years ago. But play which ever you prefer. E40K is for
some people, and NetEpic is for others.

Josh R

"No matter where you go, there you are." B.Bonzai