Re: [NetEpic ML] net epic suppression

From: Mr Wizard <mr_wizard_at_...>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 01:25:44 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Kelvin Henderson <kx.henderson_at_...>
To: <netepic_at_yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 6:02 PM
Subject: Re: [NetEpic ML] net epic suppression

> <Lurk mode OFF>
> Hey there everyone!
>
> > As well as NetEpic I also play alot of 3e40k. We made a simple
system
> >for suppression but I don't know if it would work for epic. We said
weapons
> >only cause suppression if the firer is trying to suppress a unit. When
> >laying down a suppressive fire you don't usally really hit anything (your
> >trying to force the enemie to keep his head down and not move).
>
> I see your reasoning behind such a house rule, but I have to say it
doesn't
> make sense. If you're laying down a suppressive fire, you're usually not
> actually trying to hit anything, true. But its not the most effective way
> of getting an enemy to keep their heads down. The best way is to hit
> them. Troops will hit the dirt when the bullets start to zing around
> them. They'll go to ground AND freak if one of their guys is actually
> hit. Casualties should cause more effective suppression than just firing
> to keep their heads down. No one wants to be the next casualty as it
> becomes frighteningly real when one of your fellow squaddies goes down.
>
> Stargrunt II represents this wonderfully. When you fire at an enemy squad
> there is only one of three possible results:
>
> 1. Missed. Too bad.
> 2. Suppression. You've fired at the enemy accurately enough to scare
them,
> but not enough to hurt them.
> 3. Fully Effective fire. You've fired and hit. The enemy hits the dirt
> (suppressed) AND someone gets hit and might just buy the farm.
>
> Its beautiful, elegant and realistic. I know we can't really represent
> such a rule in the same way in NetEpic, but I think it demonstrates the
> point that casualties are at least as effective at pinning and suppressing
> enemy troops than simply firing to suppress.
>

> -Kelvin....
>
> "Oh no! Waspinator is pinned
> like Iron Butterfly!"

Yes, I agree totally, but Net epic already has this built into the moral and
brake point. This why we use this rule in 40K . Lets say my IG is going to
get charged by a squad of 20 orks. My poor lasguns are not going to do
enough damage in one turn to stop their advance. Yet, if I can successfully
suppress the squad my IG can fall back to a better position next turn. Now
this is a worse case scenario . Most of the time it is in my best interest
to simple fire normally so as to cause casualties. Suppression is setup so
as to be a usable option but not the option used most of the time.
Suppression setup in this way keeps it form being used all the time but it
is quit useful in certain situation.

Nathan