Re: [NetEpic ML] Fliers..

From: Darryl Hilbig <darrylhilbig_at_...>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 09:31:07

Just on the defence against air attack.

Ground units have two options with regard to air defence, they are as
follows:

a. Active defence: the attempt to shoot down or make it harder for the air
unit to place its ordnance where it needs to; and

b. Passive defence: the use of camouflage and concealment by the ground
unti so that the air unit does not know where, exactly, the ground unit is.

Option a. is only useable against low level ground attack aircraft up to the
maximum range of the small arms in use with the "wall of fire" concept of
putting a wall of small arms automatic fire up in front of the air unit that
it has to fly through on its way to the target. With the lethality of
current ammunition and the lack of proper armour on most aircraft, this can
be succesfful. But, this is only done very rarely by ground units,
especially infantry who prefer option b..

Option b. is the preferred choice by units as those that are stationary are
both camouflaged and concealed from either recconaisance overflights by
various methods and equipment against any sensors. Their other defence
versus aircraft is concealment in overhead cover (which is unavailable to
vehicles in Epic due to being unable to enter forested/wooded area or
buildings)and dispersal (which really has no effect due to the way the
system of firing works withing the game).

So as a result of these defences, the flier may know the ground unit is in
the area but not where. Just look at any air campaigns conducted from WW1
onwards in any area up to and including Afghanistan now.

But, of these options, only the option which gives away your position is
available to an 40K Epic commander with no chance at a modifier that if the
unit hasn't fired from that position prior to that turn (or will not fire in
that turn) modifies the attack of a flier a couple of points worse than what
it would be normally.

Your opinions?

Darryl H

The theory and practice of gamesmanship or
The art of winning games without actually cheating.
(Title of book - Stephen Potter 1900-69)