[NetEpic ML] Re: Gargants and their Balls

From: Warprat <warprat_at_...>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 22:26:20 -0800

Frankly, I don't understand what all the Hub-bub is about.

The Gut Buster can only fire every other round, (of course the first
round is the most deadly). Gargants must choose at the start of the
turn which type of ammo is to be used. I choose the type of ammo to be
loaded, before the game is setup, when I pick my units, not after I have
learned what my opponent has taken, and where everything is positioned.

The Ball round scatters, approx 1/3 chance of a hit. Then there is the
amount of roll, (which usually is no problem). The weapon is GREAT, if
it hits, but it's hardly reliable. And once it's fired, the enemy KNOWS
you won't be able to use it the turn it reloads. Also, because the ball
is not a barrage template, Eldar holo fields are effective against it.

Gargants have flickering shields and the armor saves are not so great,
so every little shot fired at them has a real chance of doing real
damage, and staring a fire. Infantry weapons have a good chance against
Gargants.

Of course Gargants are tough, and it takes three fires to ensure
destuction.

Warlords, on the other hand, have shields that work against the vast
majority of weapons. The shields can regenerate. Warlords can carry
a wide varity of weapons. Among these are Warp Missles and Vortex
Missles. Both of these one shot gambles, can get lucky and do some
pretty horrific damage about 1/3 of the time (scatter).

Of course there is the trade off, a vortex missle costs 150pts. If you
multiply that cost by three, (For 1 to 1 odds) the cost to hit an
enemy titan with 1d6 hits, and all shields reduced (Gargants beware), is
450pts, plus the lost firing opporunity of three, now empty, weapon
mounts. The Warlords (because it would take two), would both need to be
on First Fire and both have line of sight to the same target. And of
course, both would have had to survive any previous enemy fire.

Eldar titans are also super neat. Holo fields are awsome, as long as
the titan can keep moving, and avoid the barrage templates Thier
weapons are perhaps the most powerfull in the game. This is ballanced
by the smaller number of weapons they can carry. I absolutly LOVE to
play with Eldar Titans!

I have never played with Chaos titans, but if they are as well ballanced
as the other titans, I'm sure they're not a bad pick. Weapons costs may
need to be adjusted, but overall, these Gigantic Machines of Destuction
seem to be extreamly well ballanced to me.

What's the BIG deal?

Warprat