RE: RE: [NetEpic ML] Re: [v5.0] Core Rules Part II

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 07:48:20 -0400

Hi!

-----Original Message-----
From: Albert Farr� Benet [mailto:cibernyam_at_...]
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2002 8:12 PM
To: netepic_at_yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: RE: [NetEpic ML] Re: [v5.0] Core Rules Part II

How about:

This also reminded me of another case: What happens if an HQ unit is in
the middle of nowhere? let's say the same example but HQ unit was on the
right at 55 cm all alone with no other stand in a, say, 30 cm radius.
Devastators could just turn view right and see a stand wandering alone
in open field, clearly an HQ unit (there's no possibility of confusing
with other troopers). Of course, trolls and bloodletters are closer
but...hell, that's an HQ all alone in open field...should be a sitting
duck.

An HQ in open field as well as in a building is fair game. In order for
it to benefit it has to be around other units. Actually I am slowly
coming up with wording that will also eliminate some “cheese” .
Basically it will state that HQ ONLY enjoy the benefit IF screened by
troops of the same pinning class and is no more than 25cm from them. If
its amongst troops on another pinning class, out alone (farther than
25cm) or in building its fair came. This promotes keeping HQ’s with
their units otherwise they are targets. Opinions?

I agree with you, this is VERY difficult to word without rewriting brand
new extensive rules (general rule, exception on general rule, exception
to exception on general rule,... repeat n times until satisfied, I think
the idea is understood) but I don't think my example was very uncommon.
Perhaps rewording HQ targeting as "possible when no other units are
closer than 20 cm to the line of sight (firing unit - HQ). Units with
different pining class as HQ unit can be ignored. It is also possible to
fire at that HQ unit if ALL units closer than 20 cm are also fired on.
You cannot allocate more attack dice to HQ than any other unit you are
firing upon". I think it could be seen very easily with a little
drawing...

See above.

..that also brings me the idea of adding little drawings/schematics to
exemples. Yeah, I may be an Heretic for saying this, but the extensive
use of graphic examples in GW rulebooks helps A LOT to understand rule
mechanics (even when they are absolutely nonsense, which BTW it is also
quite GW style). Is it possible to add them at least for core rules
examples?

No not heresy-truth. I plan to put illustrations in the net epic gold
version. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Peter