Rules for units firing at buildings

From: Christo Fogelberg <doubtme_at_...>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 10:46:24 +1200

>With the talk of units being in buildings, what're the rules on targeting
>something big & immobile? I understand that if I want to shoot at a unit
>inside a building or trench I'm at -2 To-Hit, but what if I just want to
>shoot the building itself?
>
>Do I have to make a normal To-Hit roll?
>
>+++++ At a 5+ that means your standard infantryman will miss the broad side
>of a barn two-in-three. Can I fall down laughing now?
>
>Can I assume that everyone hits? A Tactical Company firing at a building
>stands a fair chance of bringing it down (30 hits = 30 saves = just under
>even odds). I can live with this - what sayeth others?
>-Yar

Here's my two cents:
Everyone would hit... normally. But combat isn't normal. Troops will be
constantly looking over their shoulder to see what's going on. There'll be
explosions going off continuously - some nearer than the troopers would
like. And they're going to be firing from positions that aren't ideal - like
the bottom of a trench or curved around a piece of cover -spray and pray
anyone?

I'd say some sort of bonus is appropriate - but making it an automatic hit
is perhaps a bit optimistic. Maybe a +2 bonus or something like that? Or
would this add one to many "special" modifiers to the rules (I must admit,
I'm not intimately familiar with them:)

Christo