[v5.0] Core rules: fortifications

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 09:04:53 -0400

Hi!

Since a consensus seems to have been reached regarding basic buildings
rules. We need to do the fortifications using those we have in the
current core rules as a base.

Note that the rules will be the SAME for basic and advance building
rules the main difference between the two being that one uses structural
points and the other doesn't.

Now, besides stating what these do, we need to come up with how to
"thwart" a specific fortification since many questions would arise on
how to bypass or neutralize a given defense.

I will discuss all the ones we have at present with recommendations and
then people can add more or modify the descriptions.

Fortifications

Roads and bridges

Originally the rules gave these a save 6+ on 2d6. This still seem
reasonable. This should be per segment of road or bridge. As I have said
before I'm leaving "segment" loosely defined because people need leeway
in building their terrain. In advanced rules terms each segment gets ONE
structural point.

Bridges offer -1 penalty to fire. I'm not sure what bonus to give for
roads, but here are some suggestions:

1. Roads only benefit tracked/wheeled vehicles as well as those on foot.
Skimmer/titans and praetorians do not benefit.

2. If the entire movement is on roads model receives a +10 or 15cm bonus
move. If only partial movement on road (at least half of models
movement) it gains +5cm.

3. Units caught on the road are vulnerable to fire due to the clear
path. Not sure what bonus to fire should apply (+1, re-roll, etc.)

Stronghold

The original rules seem okay, save 2+ on 2d6. Units within get a 4+
(modifiable) save to incoming fire A(note if it has a save it can choose
the better of the two, not both) In addition the stronghold should have
some sort of weapon, perhaps a limited selection of titan type weapons
for the same price as a titan mount. This comes with the plasma
generator to power it. IF the building is destroyed the generator could
explode in a 2d6 radius with units in the area making and unmodified
save. It gives some incentive to take it instead of blowing it up since
the "takers" could use the weapon and keep the generator intact.

Infantry use ONLY.

In advanced terms a stronghold will have 6 structural points.

Bunkers

It has a save of 2+ (like all fortifications) and units within get the
4+ save. Bunkers can't have weapons like a stronghold but we can let
light artillery pieces be placed in them (thud guns, mole mortars,
etc.). Infantry and light artillery use only.

As a variant we can allow bunkers that will house heavier artillery.

In advanced terms it has 3 structural point each.

Emplacements

These are usually made for heavy artillery or vehicles to be hull down.
The usually cover bonuses apply (-2). The emplacement has a save of 2+
and offers the unit within a save of 4+ (use this one or the models save
if better). I wondered about this. Most vehicles have a higher save than
4+ so the bonus isn't that great. I wondered if a +1 bonus to the armor
was a better representation? Opinions?

May be used by any non-titan/praetorian unit.

In advance terns it has 2 structural points.

Trenches

Infantry and light artillery only. Cover modifier -2. I need comments
on:

1. How is a trench destroyed?
2. Does it have a standard fortification saving throw?
3. What can cross a trench (unit types)

Razor wire

Usually destroyed by models with deathrollers or bulldozer blade (like a
gorgon). Titan/praetorians destroy wire according to the width of their
base. Knights ignore wire (they walk over it), troops with rocket/jump
packs and skimmers do so too.

All other units MUST cross on advance orders.

Anything to add? Save?

Minefields

Any unit that crosses a minefield is hit on a 4+ with a -2 modifier.
Titans/praetorians receive d6 hits). Engineers, gorgons and deathrollers
may eliminate minefields, but they are first hit by them, if they
survive the field is eliminated.

Anything else to add?

Artillery in buildings

Light artillery may be placed in buildings.

Peter