RE: [NetEpic ML] [v5.0] Core rules: fortifications

From: <jyrki.saari_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 16:41:01 +0300

[snip]
> Fortifications
>
> Roads and bridges
>
> Originally the rules gave these a save 6+ on 2d6. This still seem
> reasonable. This should be per segment of road or bridge. As
> I have said
> before I'm leaving "segment" loosely defined because people
> need leeway
> in building their terrain. In advanced rules terms each
> segment gets ONE
> structural point.
>
> Bridges offer -1 penalty to fire. I'm not sure what bonus to give for
> roads, but here are some suggestions:
>
> 1. Roads only benefit tracked/wheeled vehicles as well as
> those on foot.
> Skimmer/titans and praetorians do not benefit.
>
> 2. If the entire movement is on roads model receives a +10 or
> 15cm bonus
> move.

+10cm is enough.

> If only partial movement on road (at least half of models
> movement) it gains +5cm.
>
> 3. Units caught on the road are vulnerable to fire due to the clear
> path. Not sure what bonus to fire should apply (+1, re-roll, etc.)

+1 to-hit would be good; they're easier to sport and hence easier to hit.

> Stronghold
>
> The original rules seem okay, save 2+ on 2d6. Units within get a 4+
> (modifiable) save to incoming fire A(note if it has a save it
> can choose
> the better of the two, not both) In addition the stronghold
> should have
> some sort of weapon, perhaps a limited selection of titan type weapons
> for the same price as a titan mount. This comes with the plasma
> generator to power it. IF the building is destroyed the
> generator could
> explode in a 2d6 radius with units in the area making and unmodified
> save.

I'd say that it blows up on 4+ if the stronghold is destroyed.

> It gives some incentive to take it instead of blowing
> it up since
> the "takers" could use the weapon and keep the generator intact.

An interesting idea.

> Infantry use ONLY.
>
> In advanced terms a stronghold will have 6 structural points.
>
> Bunkers
>
> It has a save of 2+ (like all fortifications) and units within get the
> 4+ save. Bunkers can't have weapons like a stronghold but we can let
> light artillery pieces be placed in them (thud guns, mole mortars,
> etc.). Infantry and light artillery use only.
>
> As a variant we can allow bunkers that will house heavier artillery.
>
> In advanced terms it has 3 structural point each.

How about 2? A stronghold is a large fortress while a bunker is quite small for a building.

> Emplacements
>
> These are usually made for heavy artillery or vehicles to be
> hull down.
> The usually cover bonuses apply (-2). The emplacement has a save of 2+
> and offers the unit within a save of 4+ (use this one or the
> models save
> if better). I wondered about this. Most vehicles have a
> higher save than
> 4+ so the bonus isn't that great. I wondered if a +1 bonus to
> the armor
> was a better representation? Opinions?

The +1 to armor would be fine. BTW; does it have a 2+ save on 2d6 or 1d6?

> May be used by any non-titan/praetorian unit.

I'd rule knights out also. They're too tall.

> In advance terns it has 2 structural points.
>
> Trenches
>
> Infantry and light artillery only. Cover modifier -2. I need comments
> on:
>
> 1. How is a trench destroyed?

By artillery, since it has to be collapsed. Also, only a segment of Xcm is destroyed.

> 2. Does it have a standard fortification saving throw?

2+ on 2d6 is a bit much IMO.

> 3. What can cross a trench (unit types)

I'd say all units just for simplicity. Trenches are not AT ditches after all.

> Razor wire
>
> Usually destroyed by models with deathrollers or bulldozer
> blade (like a
> gorgon). Titan/praetorians destroy wire according to the
> width of their
> base. Knights ignore wire (they walk over it), troops with rocket/jump
> packs and skimmers do so too.
>
> All other units MUST cross on advance orders.
>
> Anything to add? Save?
>
> Minefields
>
> Any unit that crosses a minefield is hit on a 4+ with a -2 modifier.
> Titans/praetorians receive d6 hits). Engineers, gorgons and
> deathrollers
> may eliminate minefields, but they are first hit by them, if they
> survive the field is eliminated.
>
> Anything else to add?
>
> Artillery in buildings
>
> Light artillery may be placed in buildings.
>
> Peter

Jyrki Saari

-There is no such thing as free lunch because eating takes time and time is money.