RE: [NetEpic ML] 5.0 review

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 08:18:03 -0400

Hi!

I understand you're worry. It is a difficult balancing act on what to
change and what not. But as you mention playing the game has a lot to do
with experiencing what can be changed and what not.

As you know I have played all the armies, more times than my opponents
or myself can care to remember. There are few problems I haven't seen in
person over the many years. This includes net epic problems as well as
problems we have been dragging since the original GW version. So I feel
I have an excellent grasp of what to change and what not. Mind you I am
aware that I am sort of radical, but those ideas get shot down pretty
quickly so it balances out.

However some of the issues on the table are not radical, but necessary.
The issue of free cards is NOT new. It was argued over even on the old
space marine list many years ago. The bottom line is GW has a bad habit
of adding things to army lists without a proper cost (for free in this
case). While the Avatar unit I don't have a problem with of being free,
all the other ones I do, especially when there is no real restriction to
which can be used. It may be one unit, but its one unit more than your
opponent gets. Although, this we will leave for the eldar discussion
perhaps defining craftworlds like we do SM chapters may be the way to
go. This way "x" craftworld can get "x" unit CHEAPER (not free). Just an
idea.

Wind rider host. This one is as old and as contentious as the old
holofield issue before it was settled. The fact is other than eldar
players, everyone hates it and it promotes all those wind rider host
armies that are infamous. Simply put it's too cheap. By Birol's formulas
it should be worth something like 800 points. I realize company cards
get HQ and their transports for free and the Eldar don't have these.
That's and easy fix, if it should be worth 800 give it a discount for
not having the HQ's, say 50 points and make it worth 750. Eldar players
still get a break and the value is more commensurate with the units
effectiveness.

Preatorians. We changed them and it was for the better. They are
stronger more powerful as they should be. But guess what? We never
changed the points cost accordingly. This one has 5 years of testing and
they are ALL under priced. Does anyone actually think that a colossus
worth 500 points is just as good as a reaver for the same amount? NO
WAY! The colossus has eaten the reaver in EVERY single game I have seen
them playing without exception. Now pit it versus a warlord and you'll
surprise yourself. They need a price raise.

Chaos. I agree wholeheartedly there is a problem with tem. I play this
army extensively (more so than others). After all these years I have hit
on their problem. It's not the demons or the free chaos cards. It's the
army organization. Chaos has too good a selection. As it stands playing
chaos is as efficient as playing a combined IG/SM army all benefit no
drawbacks. You can freely mix demons with cultist and with CSM. The
combination is just too good. It's like playing an army without
restrictions to allies like other armies. Fortunately it can be fixed
with just an organizational overhaul in fact making them separate armies
(although in the same book).

So far, these changes, while hotly debated are only superficial and
cosmetic. True changes such as in the core rules and such have not and
probably will not be taken-ever. After all that's where "epic" really
resides.

Peter