[NetEpic ML] Re: Let the Revision begin!!

From: <jyrki.saari_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 12:54:44 +0200

Finnish infantry used to kill Soviet tanks by jamming a log of wood into the
tracks and then throwing in a bottle of gasoline. I do know these methods.
See below.

> If an infantry squad is holding a piece of terrain, you need
> to remove them
> with shooting, artillery, or infantry attacks. Driving a
> tank right into
> their positions is a really bad idea. If a tank finds itself
> all alone and
> unsupported, it really must try to find a way go around the
> enemy infantry,
> not just barrel right through them.

The point here is NOT to drive through some prepared positions but of the
infantry charging the tank, not killing or immobilizing it but preventing it
from moving in the movement phase just by their imposing presence :). The
tank crewmen KNOW about those unpleasantries infantry have for them at close
range, so ANY sensible driver caught in the middle of an infantry swarm
would probably hit the gas and get as far as possible rather than sitting
idle and waiting for those infantry weapons to do their job. I think that if
the infantry did not manage to kill the tank in the CC phase then all those
niceties mentioned above either had no effect or the infantry had no chance
to use them. Do you see my point?

> Only those tanks specifically designed to 'over-run' infantry
> should be
> allowed to do so. In Epic Space Marines, there were a couple
> of tanks that
> had this capability (the ones with be rollers on the front).
> Most tanks are
> designed to contact enemy infantry from a distance (HE main
> gun shells and
> machine gun fire.

And in SM1/AT all vehicles had two CC stats: Overrun and Normal. The Overrun
stat was higher for every vehicle.

> The Tank may the King of the battlefield, but even the King
> must answer to
> the Queen at times.

Yep. See above. But the queen can NOT stop the king from moving other than
killing or immobilizing him.

> Brian A. Evans

Jyrki Saari