Re: Unit proposals for Chaos

From: AntiChrist <seimejote_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 08:09:58 -0000

Given that all CSM should have rised their armor save to 5+ like
loyalist ones...

--- In netepic_at_y..., "Weasel Fierce" <weasel_fierce_at_h...> wrote:

> okay... maybe this is too soon.... but might as well toss out some
ideas :)

> Im not going to worry about point costs and such yet.
>
> Khorne berzerkers.
> Chaos space marines but morale 1, CAF +5 and armed with boltpistols.

CAF +4 and the following rule:

Blood for the Blood God!
The unit gets +1 CAF when charging, but must roll 1d6 each time is
activated: on a 1 its orders are switched to Charge orders (even if
is an HQ unit), and it will move towards the nearest enemy in LoS and
attempt to initiate close combat.

> Plague marines
> Chaos space marines but morale 1, 6+ fixed saving throw.

Armor save 5+/6+ fixed, armed with Bolters (50cm, 1, 5+, 0) and
Plague Knives

Plaguesword/Plague Knives
Models armed with Plagueswords or Plague Knives are deadly in close
combat, as these foul weapons have a chance of infecting with all
manners of rot and disease even the smallest wound they cause. When a
model armed with a Plaguesword rolls double 4, 5 or 6 on the Close
Combat roll, the opposite model is slain even if wins or ties the
close combat. Plague Knives functions similarly, but kills only on
double 6. These weapons can affect only infantry, cavalry and light
artillery units.

> Noise marines
> Chaos space marines but morale 1, their weapons have 2 attacks but
hit on 5+
> instead. Maybe drop the CAF by one.

Yeah, CAF +2 and weapons (50cm, 2, 5+, 0), but with the special
ability Warp Scream (from CSM 40k codex)

Warp Scream
All stands charged by a unit with this ability must make a Morale
check: if failed, they must re-roll all Close Combat dice which roll
a 6 (the second result stands). This power doesn't affect AI units.

> Thousand sons
> 6+ fixed saving throw. CAF +2, boltguns. Their break point equal
the size of
> the detachment. Always fires on first fire orders if advancing.

I view thousand sons in another way, with these special abilities:

Automatons
Automatons are considered AI units. However, due to their nature they
have no initiative and must be controlled at all times: Automatons
may only be given orders if within 10cm of a Tzeentch Magus or a
Greater D�mon of Tzeentch. If there is no Magus or Greater D�mon
within range, they will advance on the nearest enemy and fire on them
in the Advance Fire phase. Due to their awkward and stiff motions,
automatons never double movement on Charge orders.

Immune to Pain
Units with this skill ignore any wound from weapons without a TSM of
at least -1.

> Sorcerous marines
> Normal CSM stats, 4+ psychic saving throw, may ignore terrain when
moving
> due to spells.

Veteran Marines profile with the 4+ psychic save instead?

> Raptors
> Jump packs, CAF +4, bolt pistols, maybe same ability as blood claws
have ?

I've given them a meltagun (25cm, 1, 4+, -2, ignores cover) and
CAF+3, in the new 40k codex they are more weapon-oriented. Oh, and
the Hit&Run ability.

> Demon prince.
> Move 10, CAF +5, 6+ save, no ranged attack. Player can pick 2 or 3
options
> from this list:
>
> Wings (move 15, leap over terrain)
> Fearsome (same fear effects as greater demon)
> Psyker (ranged attack 50 cm, 2 attacks on 4+, -1 TSM)
> Warrior (CAF +8)
> Demonic armour (4+ saving throw)
> Sorceror (4+ psychic save. May negate psychic attacks within 35 cm
on a 4+)
> Followers (4 chaos cultist stands that form a detachment with the
prince and
> counts as HQ units)
> Dedicated (may take forces from one chaos god)
> Favoured (receives a chaos card)
>
> add or change as needed.

Great! I've designed various D�mon Princes, but this system works a
lot better! We've to design different lists for all the 4 powers ;)

> Thouhgts ? additions ?

See above =)