RE: [NetEpic ML] Question: How Netepic avoid copyright issue with GW

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 21:00:39 -0400

Hi!

Welcome to groups Kenneth, enjoy your stay!

These are fairly common questions and make no mistake, we have been
scrutinized by GW, many times in fact, and we're still here. This is
because we follow several major GW guidelines:

1. Thou shalt not copy/paste. It's very tempting to OCR, scan, or
otherwise just transfer an out of print rulebook "verbatim" and make it
available. You MUST, sit down and basically re-write the whole of the
rules in your own words, changing things as you go to personalize the
work. Copyright covers the physical manifestations of the copyrighted
work, not ideas and concepts. For example no one can own the concept of
"a human in power armor", but you can own the written term "space
marine".

In terms of MOW, you CANNOT just reproduce it and make it available. You
MUST rewrite the WHOLE thing and change enough of it so it isn't just a
copy. Mind you, the essence is still MOW, but you have also contributed
your own creative work into a whole new thing. Make no mistake, this is
a MAJOR undertaking, so be sure you have the time to deal with the work
it will produce.

2. Thou shalt not use are pictures. This is a BIG beef with GW. You
CANNOT under any circumstances use pictures, images, etc. from GW books.
This is a big no-no. This get real pissy, real fast. Netepic uses its
own imagines created by its members of other non-GW sources. You can
make your MOW rulebook pretty by adding pictures and such, but they
better be your own stuff.

3. Disclaimers. Use them. GW likes people who do and gets pissy with
those who don't. A simple statement such as those found in our books is
good enough.

4. Even if you follow these "guidelines" there is NO guarantee your off
the hook. GW has more money than any one individual (at least until I
win the lotto) and thus can tell you to remove something and threaten
with a lawsuit if you don't. Even when you are in the right, they can
often beat an individual, since they have the resources to screw that
individual. Its usually not worth it and its better to remove the files.

I hope this helps.

Peter