Re: [NetEpic ML] Space Marine allies

From: Albert Farr� Benet <cibernyam_at_...>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 17:10:49 +0100

Hi!

I would say never to SM vs Orks, but as you can never say never, I would
only allow under special conditions, which means, only in an very well
defined scenario or campaign game and with lots of penalties for both
armies. Same holds for IG allied with orks. And actually anything that tries
to fight alongside orks, should have LOTS of penalties. Also for fluff
reasons.

I think the point in penalizing different chaos powers when playing together
was for balance reasons (and some fluff too). They got very good specialized
units in each field though in different powers. Thus, when you played all
powers you get all strengths added and all weakness mended.

Allowing such thing as SM allying orks goes against this previous reasoning.
The only "exception" to this rule is playing SM with IG and this has been
allowed *only* for fluff reasons. Obvoiously, under game balance approach
this is an awful combination since they complement themselves perfectly as
the limitations from SM are the strengths of IG and viceversa. The only BUT
is that IG command limitations always made them complicate allies to manage
even in small numbers (specially in small numbers, I could add).

Any small possibility that allows orks allying with any creature not green
should add some (a lot) of penalizations, including but not limited to: -1
initiative (or always losing initiative), no extra CC bonus when
outnumbering with two units of different armies, animosity, random orders
changes or morale tests to move closer to ork units. Either one, some or all
the penalties. Can you imagine team working with a bunch of orks in your
job?

In conclusion, if someone wants to make a
bad-enemies-make-good-bed-companions-scenario I don't have any problem, but
as a general rule I would say an ABSOLUTE NO. Orks go their very own way
always.

Albert