Rule for Outnumbering

From: Stephane Montabert <kotrin_at_...>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 00:23:21 -0800 (PST)

EUREKA!!

Hi all!

In recent days, we have had a discussion about
outnumbering and rules of engagement. If I am
completely sure that some ruling is required to keep
any interest in high CAF, low number elite troops, I
wasn't too happy with my draft rule proposal - not
bad, but a bit cumbersome. The part about the
"detachment" annoyed me the most. It was leaving the
question of command units unsolved, and also required
an arbitrary division of ennemy models which may not
be natural at all - for example, if two detachment
were intermingled together, to get outnumbering you
would have had to engage one while carefully avoiding
the other. Even if both were made of the same troops.

But yesterday I had a new idea witch seemed a lot more
clear, simple, natural, and easy to understand. Hope
you'll think that too :o) The rule should be:

"Outnumbering means having more than one model of the
assaulting unit fighting a single ennemy model."

"Outnumbering can occur on a target enemy model only
if all reachable enemy models within 6cm of the target
are already engaged in close-combat, by assaulting
unit or another."

- This rules means that outnumbering somehow happens
at the heart of the melee, which is quite natural.
- No need for special rules for command unit, they are
vulnerable depending of their exposure.
- Enemy models count as engaged if they are assaulted
by the activated unit, or has been engaged by
previously activated units.
- The 6cm refers of course to unit coherency. So
overextending a unit makes it much more prone to be
locally outnumbered by an attacker.
- The word "reachable" allows to ignore models out of
reach (Overlord airship) or subject to assault
restriction, whatever the reason - because they are
out of charge movement, for example. It also allows a
merge of this rule with whatever optional rule of
engagement is chosen.

Input, comments ? I'll update my page with this one
ASAP.

Best regards, Stephane

=====
Stephane "The Guy Without A Nickname" Montabert
"It's better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Eric Wujcik