Re: [NetEpic ML] New file uploaded to netepic [SM army book]

From: Albert Farr� Benet <cibernyam_at_...>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 03:36:42 +0200

Also a small thought...

Still I have not found any balance in the "never give up" rule (In general,
Salamanders do not have any big drawback for all their special benefits,
IMHO ). I know some people disagree with my opinion but I must say that I
don't find adequate this rule and any rule that affeccts the victory
conditions of your opponent. Same goes for the Crimson Suns special rule.
The victory level of your opponent should not be affected by your army
attitude. Note that even Tyranids, who have completely different victory
conditions do not affect the other army victory conditions. IMHO the only
way to impede your opponent victory is with a victory of your own, if your
opponent reaches his victory conditions a turn before you, he has won,
period.I needed to read through this one, since I was not familiar with it. The game implications are IMO, somewhat questionable since it give a player a "get out of jail" free card. It means that I can play a so-so game and then pull out a tie or win with this rule. It leaves a bad after taste in my view.

  --> WARNING!!!: METAGAME COMMENT (perfectly not necessary)

  Personally, I'm against the "Blood Bowl" style of rules which allows to play the "loose your turn"/"get a free extra turn" card or he-who-rolls-the-highest-in-a-2D-contest-wins-the-whole-game card. A win is a result from your strategic and tactic work during the game, not to say, it's no fun to have your hard earned victory slipped from your hands with a specific rule that overcomes the general principle, or a Deus ex Maquina nasty dice roll that decides the whole game.

  I think that a general guide is that additional rules should not modify some basic concepts of the core rules, such as phase order, initial deployment, victory conditions or CC method for example. Any exceptions should be clearly stated in the core rules (that is, like special abilities like infiltration) and not in the army books, unless they have really meaningless interference with the system (like orders changed to charge when condition X arises)

  In the other hand, codex armies should add extra flavour without making standard armies look like loosers. In the end, we are not trying to make money selling miniatures from the new super-cool-extra-cheesy codex. Balance is the goal IMO: you give extra virtues, then you add extra limitations.

  I would edit it as follows: When a chapter player add +5 VP's to the total necessary to end the game. That means if you play 6000 points which is usually 55VP's or more to win, either side would need 60 VP's to win. This reflects the salamanders grit and determination to tough out a battle for longer than expected, but it doesn't give a free ride to EITHER side. Opinions?

  ---> It is difficult to come with a balanced rule that reflects the "never give up" idea without affecting the opponent victory conditions. Another chance to reflect the "never give up" idea could be to modify points costs, Break points and Victory points of Salamander units (either some or all) and treat them as Squats. Or designate one support card for each company card and have is break point turned to "the detachment/unit is broken when ALL stands/vehicles are destroyed", the support card gives twice the usual victory points when broken.

  The same goes for the Crimson fist, the "moral high ground" should be changed to "Honor Quest". One objective in the OPPONENTS half of the table will be designated by the Crimson Son player as a "high" value target. It is a matter of great honor for the sons to capture it. If it can be secured it is worth DOUBLE the standard VP's for an objective (10 instead of 5). If however it remains in enemy hands at the games end the OPPONENT gains the bonus +5 VP's.

  ---> May work. I would change the last sentence to " If however it remains in enemy hands at the games end the Crimson Sun loses -5 VP's while the OPPONENT gains the usual 5 VP. This way, the opponent VP isnot affected but the Crimson sun player is.

  This way there is benefit AND disadvantage. It gives character, but no free rides.

  Opinions?