RE: [NetEpic ML] Re: Tau Titans

From: <nils.saugen_at_...>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:46:00 +0200

Hi,

There are several considerations when creating a new NetEpic army list.
Wheter it is building one from scratch or translating one from WH40K.
First and foremost it is important to create a playable and balanced
army, secondly it should be an army with a distinct design i.e. Squats
are sturdy and shooty, eldar are swift and specialized but few and
fragile, IG are numerous but slow etc.

I beliewe I was the first list member to translate the TAU to NetEpic,
and one of the contributors to the current list. One of the main
challenges when translating a W40k list to NetEpic is that you need to
scale the army for larger conflicts. In the case of the TAU we where
quite lucky because the fluff had a description of the Mantis Cruiser. A
flyer/floater/skimmer preatorian. This was something completely new, and
added to the uniqueness of the army design. However that was IMO not
enough heavy equipment to make the TAU list robust enough to function as
a standalone NetEpic army. Thus I introduced the Killer Whale super
heavy tanks (Basically it is a Tempest). A unit I feel would work
excelent alongside the other units translated from GW and add overall
strenght to the Tau NetEpic army. Since that initial suggestion the TAU
army has grown and now the discussion is wether or not to include TAU
titans.

I would advocate that we do not add titans to the Army list. IMHO they
are not needed to balance the army. We have kept very close to the
original fluff thus far, and this would be a sidetrack to the current
developement route for this specific list. However, my main argument is
that it just dosen't feel right. It removes the uniqueness from the TAU,
and makes it just another armylist. I think we should rater cultivate
the difrences and try to make each and every army stand out from the
others in as many ways as possible. Yet striving to make things as
balanced as possible.

So if I could give a suggestion on what I would like to see happen with
the TAU is to give the race the same victory point conditions as the
Tyrranids. This is based on the GW fluff, where TAU don't fight a battle
to gain land, but rather viewe the whole affair as a grand hunt.

Opinions?

Just my 2 kroner
Nils