Re: [NetEpic ML] Few questions about V5 squat Army Book

From: cibernyam <cibernyam_at_...>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 01:25:22 +0100

Before I answer to your question, let me add that IMHO I think that for
clarification purpose

- at the first special rule (enhanced CC mastery) for Makutu Gabe clan (page
4 beta doc) we should add the following sentence at the end: "Otherwise,
usual Squat CC mastery is applied". It was not clear what happened when
none of those conditions were met.

- at the fourth special rule (Mechanized) for Zutik clan (page 5 beta doc)
we should add the following sentence at the end: "This transport upgrade is
part of the special/support/company card and does not count against support
card limit for each company".

- at the second special rule (You owe us!) for Squat comercial Clans we
should add the following sentence at the end: "Treat different allies as
separate(and neutral) armies for all positive effects they could have.
Squats are always considered firendly troops and Squats consider their
allies as friendly". Thus, a SM medic neither will heal eldars or orcs, nor
have any doubt firing upon an enemy stand fighting in CC versus an allied
(neutral) stand. A squat cannot shoot into CC if allied units are present
and viceversa.

Now, on your questions,

- Cyclops DoomStorm Missile are listed with a varying To-Hit-Roll is
it normal ? I thought that those missiles barrage templates should be
put touching each other without adding BP if a template is over
another (even if I don't if putting 2 templates on the same location
is authorized)

-------> Well, I've always played that you could not overlap these kind of
missiles (just like colossus and the multi barrage missile launcher of
warlord titans). But I guess it will make sense to shoot two missiles to the
same spot to increase the chances of hitting the target so, allowing to add
their BP at the cost of losing one barrage sounds fine to me.

- Behemoth is a praetorian but it has no PD and is not always on First
Fire Order, so is it considered has a standard unit for orders
purposes or is it played for orders like cyclops or Colossus ? What
about the PD ?

--------> Behemoth is a praetorian and as such, always fires on first fire.
This is a general rule for all praetorians in v5 (check core rules), so
unless the opposite is writen, we can assume all praetorians fire always on
first fire. While it is true it does not have PD, it has 10 dice worth of
heavy bolter fire (better to hit and longer range at the cost of losing
independent snap firing as PD, but still you shoot on FF, before CC).

- Still for the behemoth, the railgun is mounted on a turret, does
this gun has a 360� arc or fire or limited to 180� front ?
About the 450 points cost, it costs the same than cyclops, but Cyclops
seems to be better than Behemot (missiles, better FA, 1 more shield,
lots of PD but 5cm less movement) even if I respect the power of the
railguns ;)

--------> As it is written on the card, railgun has a 360� fire arc. I do
not consider behemoth a bad choice. Its heavy bolters are the equivalent of
PD(20), since you have double chance to hit targets, and still, it is not
possible to stuck more than 6-8 stands around most praetorians. Its railgun
its the best Titan / Gargant / praetorian killer in the game, and specially
useful when facing two or more titans. A 360� fire arc titan killer wepon is
dreadful. Add it +3 penetration (cyclops weapon do not have that), building
buster and up to 2d3 shields out. Cyclops gun may seem more powerful, but it
has such a tiny fire arc, that your opponent may easily destroy your
praetorian by splitting his titan force and hidding behind wwods and
buildings. The same goes for dday cannons, thunderers and the such. Whn you
point to a titan, it can hide behind something and another outflank you.

plus,

there are some issues though that I want to point out:
- Both leviathan and behemoth lack "Praetorian" note on the card
- Hvy bolters do not have a fire arc. 360� seems most logical.
- What happens if you hit once a target that has one void shield and you
score a 2 on the D3? apart from (obviously) losing the void shield does the
target get an extra impact? I guess so.

Albert