[NetEpic ML] Re: The Great Holofield Debate. Vote Now!

From: Warprat <warprat_at_...>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 22:37:41 -0800

Hi Kelvin!

Very well summarized, and with little bias. Thankyou!

Now my votes,

> Model 1:
> No changes. Leave the Holofields as they are. Let the Elves suffer the
> whim of our barrages (mwahahahahaha).

The "Default" choice. If this Model is chosen, I suggest we lower the
cost of Eldar Titans by 50pts. The Revenants should still cost 600pts.

> Model 2:
> Let Holofields save against barrages the same as they do for other weapons.
> Let the puny Young races suffer the might of Eldar Titans (mwahahahahaha).

Too powerfull!

> Model 3:
> Remain with the old rules but _any_ barrage shot against a Holo-protected
> thing (even direct) _must_ scatter as indirect. After all if you really
> don't know where something is you cannot directly fire against it, this
> sound more simple and fits more with the idea of Holofield. (But consider
> the problems I have posted earlier!)

Good idea, but too much possible rules abuse.

> Model 4:
> The Holofields provide no save against barrages (normal rules), but the
> firer does NOT get to choose the location hit on the Titan. Instead, this
> is determined randomly.

Ok, this is my idea, so it has to be good. Just ask Weasel!

Actually, I meant for the attacker to pick the target location, on the
Titan template, and scatter twice, in the event of a hit. I also like
the idea of Barrages not affecting Holofields, unless the barrage
template completly covers the titan.

> Model 5:
> Rather than giving them a special save, why not give Holofields a to-hit
> modifier. Against 'standard' weapons, the Titan uses the following
> progression: First Fire/Fallback: -2 to hit, Advance: -3 to hit, Charge: -4
> to hit. For any weapons that use a template, use the following
> progression: First Fire/Fallback: no modifier, Advance: -1 to hit, Charge
> -2 to hit.

Most weapons hit on a 5+. A -4 mod is just too much! But, the Barrage
modifier portion, of this rule, sounds about right. If you combined the
current Holofield Saving Throws (FF 4+, Adv 3+, Chg 2+), with the
Barrage Modifier above. I could probably go for this rule.

> Model 6:
> Let the Holofields give their save against barrages, but unlike direct-fire
> weapons, this save is subject to the barrage's save modifier. This way,
> the Titan gets SOME protection from barrages, but doesn't become too immune
> to them.

Sorry, higher penetration, does not make the shot more accurate, or the
explosion bigger. I like what this idea tries to do, but it just isn't
logical.

What does everyone else think? Vote, Vote, Vote!!!

Warprat ;)