[NetEpic ML] Re: Commanders on charge & first fire

From: Peter Ramos <pramos2_at_...>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 08:20:59 -0600

Hi!

Welcome aboard! Listen and post as you like or need. Hope you enjoy the
ride!

> I have a question on a different but related topic. I never liked how
command
> units worked in SM/TL. They didn't always have a reason to stay with
their
> command. (I played marines, and maybe there wasn't much problem
elsewhere.)
> Of course, the detachments from a company can split up, but I usually had
what
> amounted to a unit of commanders running around together. It seemed
weird.

Very true. This is something I addressed in Heresy, but we haven't really
gone into detail in net epic. Its something that bugs me too. lets see what
we can come up with.

> If this is mostly a perception problem, I could have just kept the
commander
> with one of his detachments. But (that I remember--it has been a long
time)
> there wasn't any benefit directly from that.

Actually I can point out to abuses of this. A command unit is basically a
detachment on its own and I have seen players form ad hoc detachments of
them running around taking objectives and making a nuisance of themselves.

> Does Net Epic provide any incentive to either keep commanders with some
from
> their command, or to make them behave as some sort of "command", instead
of
> wandering around as fast/shooty units?

As it stands, not yet. Of course you release you have opened pandoras box!
There are some points we just miss, but this one deserves attention.

My past views have been:
1. Perhaps a bonus to morale when the commander is in coherency with the
unit
2. Perhaps a bonus to CAF or shooting when in coherency with the unit

The above give a powerful reason to "stay close" and command the units.

No doubt we'll have some more ideas from everyone. The more I think about
the more I think something needs be done, because like I said before I have
seen quite a bit of abuse of this. Its alright to lose after a hard fought
battle, but to lose the game or objectives because I grouped my command
units and went on a wild rampage is not really what I'm looking for.

> Just wondering if you'd addressed one of the things I always thought was a
bit
> weird.

Any more stuff you think wierd, just throw it into the ring and we'll
discuss it.

Peter