Re: [NetEpic ML] Re: Why all the changes? was: Flyers revisited yet again!

From: Peter Ramos <pramos2_at_...>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 08:59:49 -0500

Hi!

I'll use Andy's message as a starting point for the "need a save" issues.

At thuis scale of gaming I would expect a broad categorization of "armor
classes". I'd would expect that armor from vehicles and infantry be
noticeably different.

Epic tries to do so and doesn't do a bad job of it. The danger resides in
giving armor saves to infantry since the difference between them and
vehicles becomes less clear.

The original discussions were heated in this regard and in the end rejected.
Mainly because as Andy points of there is a trade off of speed and good
attack power and vulnerability. A save in infantry represents not only its
armor but its ability to use cover effectively. Bikes and landspeeders and
other fast attack vehicles cant take advantage of these things like infantry
does.

In net epic space marines have a modifiable save of 6+. Its been around for
a while and tested. My peronal findings is that survivability is still
proportionally the SAME as when it didn't have a save becuase of the way
most players eliminate infantry models. The number one cause is close combat
followed by artillery and at the very end direct fire. The first two usually
make it a moot point to have a save anyway.

Same applies to fast attack vehicles. they die mostly of close combat or
massed barrage attacks which usually nullify any save. So why give them one.
Its not really necessary.

So I'd make much more of an arguement for leaving these without a save and
to reverting marines back like all infantry. The system just doesn't
accomodate saves for infantry while preserving the difference between
infantry and vehicles. In epic it boils down to heavy armor = save, anything
else no save. Of course there is magic and fixed save, thats a different
matter since the assumption is they ARE as good as heavy vehicle armor.

We must take care in not "tweaking too much", since we must preserve the
balance in the game.

Once this "revision" is done I think it prudent to embark on a really big
volume of optional rules, so that all these suggestions can be dealt with
and collected for public use.

Peter