Re: [NetEpic ML] The great titan close combat debate

From: Kelvin <kx.henderson_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 09:32:16 +1000

At 11:52 AM 4/13/00 -0500, Peter the Tireless wrote:
Hi!

>Well it seems this one has generated a lot of flow, we'll see if it can top
>the amount of mail the holofield issue produced.

That'd be interesting to see wouldn't it? Just what were the subjects that
created the most intense debate.

>Lets see:
>
>Warprats idea is pretty good, but its main problems are:
>
>1. Even though relatively simple its still a rule that is different from the
>standard ones
>2. Survivability, while there are different philosophies here, losing
>everything, even when you win may be a bit harsh. A save may correct this,
>but then how much different is it from what we already have?

I like this idea as it has just the right feel of desperation to it. Can't
take that Titan down with the weapons you're using now? How about a
last-ditch effort infantry charge! Sure your grunts will die but they just
might take the Titan into the bargain.

>Increased CAF's
>
>A nice thought, as simple as can be since you are not making any rules
>changes, just editing titan values. Its a real boon from the point of view
>that it uses the standard combat system and no additional rules are needed.
>
>On the downside are the high CAF's proposed high enough to make attacking
>them a moot point? Dont know really. My feeling is that this is more
>effective since issues of total annihilation are softened and better troops
>would be better at this than cannon fodder types. No additonal die rolls are
>needed because the casualties are weeded out in the standard close combat
>process.

Well, I'd support this alteration if we simply allowed the Titan to double
its CAF when fighting any units who's class is less than Knight (this
should include Daemons boths Greater and Lesser). This way we represent
the Titan's antipersonnel-type weapons (Electrohulls, defence weapons,
Poisons, spikes, ballistic Gretchin, etc...) without bothering with that
old "Electro-Hull" rule. Plus it still makes the Titan vulnerable to
larger units (Knights, Praetorians, other Titans, etc) and uses the current
rules with only ONE modification.

-Kelvin....

         "Of course I'm paranoid!
       Everyone's trying to kill me."