Re: Reality Check

From: Mike <slannesh_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 14:09:59 -0000

--- In netepic_at_egroups.com, "Steven " <snew1_at_j...> wrote:
> We've had some great ideas tossed around and a lot of hard
thought
> put into the subject of Titan CC but is it really that important?
Any
> one of these will do. Titans ARE vulnerable to infantry! That's why
> the Tech-Guard have Titan defence companies. These are their
machines

Oh come on, you know as well as I do that TDC's are supposed to
support Imperator titans.

> and they realize they need to have infantry around to protect them
> from other infantry. If the Marines borrow one for a campaign and
> then leave it all alone, it should die!!! Even scout titans (which
> will easily outpace defenders) are only meant to soften up and
expose
> the squishy underbelly of the enemy force. Titans were never meant
> be all powerful.

I've stated MANY times that I don't want titans to be all powerful.
They're fragile enough when getting shot at. I think it's stupid that
any 6 infantry stands can take out any titan just for kicks if they
get into CC.

> In NetEpic, numbers rule. Titans are usually little more than a
> nuisance, but they sure are cool. They can, and do, go down. Point
> Land Raider Co at one for a turn and see what happens. Those 20
shots
> erradicate those shields and leave it vulnerable to anyone.

Exactly what i've been saying all along... if you want a Titan dead..
Shoot it!

> Infantry going after one should be a last ditch effort, and it
should
> have a high price in casualties, but it should be effective.

And that's the problem... a lot of people seem to be trying to make
titans easier to kill in CC not harder. I mean adding the CAF of all
units then rolling the dice? what's the point? 4 Terminator stands
wipe out any titan then. That's even worse than the original system.
I know they're elite. but Elite does NOT mean you have your "How to
kill titans in CC 101" badge. It means you're an experienced combat
troop.. they already have advantages stat wise. do they really need
any more?

> Everyone's had great input, and should be congratulated on some
fine
> ideas, But we need to concede some of our feelings to try and
> consolidate some of these into a useable system. The longer this
goes
> on the further away from our goal we get.

Unfortunately the system doesn't work properly the way it is... if we
don't discuss the problems how are we ever going to fix them?

> SNEW

On a side note, I had a thought on how to modify the current
electrohull design.
Why not let infantry get through on a 5+ and then make them fight the
Titan in CC as per normal rules... should kill enough Infantry to not
make them a huge threat but if someone REALLY wants to swarm a titan
they're gonna do it.

Mike