Re: [NetEpic ML] The Advance Issue

From: Kelvin <kx.henderson_at_...>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 08:36:28 +1000

Hi Warprat!

>Thanks for your comments. Well, apart from the Shokk Attack gun
>change, these are the rules I've played with, for years. I always
>thought everybody else did too. I guess it's partly a matter of what
>your used to, tradition perhaps.

I know. Don't you just hate it when that happens? In my Epic-playing
years my group and I had all our little quirks and interpretations as well.
 Then one year I ran a Tourney at our local Con. Some new people turned up
and funnily enough, they all had THEIR interpretation of various rules too,
all different to ours. I made for some heafty arguements and rules
decisions from me as the umpire.

>About the Shokks:
>
>Well, like I said, I've been playing the wrong way for years. Troops
>have fired in the Advance Phase, and it hasn't been a problem.
>
>I see your point about using the Shokks to stop First Fire units.
>Taking that away, will limit them. But on the other hand, if they fire
>in the Close Combat Phase, they can wait and see how many units have
>been eliminated by First Fire, and help shift the odds in Close Combat.
>They can evaluate how First Fire, and Close Combat has gone, and attack
>the unit of thier choice. Good idea? Maybe, maybe not.

But with the scatter they involve, it is just as likely they will scatter
into your own troops and pitch the CC in the ENEMY'S favour. Now while
this is very Orky indeed, even while playing at my Orkiest I still try to
win when I play. I have almost never fired them into a Close Combat unless
I could avoid it. Much more useful for them to fire at other First Firers
and stop them from firing.

>If your interested, AND we try this out, I'll post an update for you.
>Let me know.

Hey, if you are happy to try them, go ahead. But I think the general
consensus of many Ork players is that the Shokk Attak Gun rules ain't
broke, so there's no need to fix 'em.

>These are ALL House Rules. Kids, don't try these at home! ;)

But if they are HOUSE rules as you say HOME is the perfect place to try
them! ;-)