RE: [NetEpic ML] Veteran HQs

From: (wrong string) � Benet <cibernyam_at_...>
Date: Thu Aug 17 14:22:29 2000

>On IG and SM Vets:
>To design what a IG vet should be like, we can NOT just take the stats from
>a SM vet and transfer it. It is a distinct difference between a SM and an
>IG
>soldier. A SM is a geneticaly improved human, if he is wounded he has a
>much
>better chance of survival and be back in service to the next battle than
>any
>IG soldier. The SM rules even states that a SM is capable of living for
>several hundred years unless he is killed in battle.

You are right. A SM may need 50 years to become a veteran, because he has
battle training and has been growed to fight. The only way to improve his
stats is through years of fighting. But be aware that he is rising from a +2
CAF to +4 or even to a terminator armour.
The point is that IG tacts have 0 CAF and morale 4. They are not good
soldiers, they are only individuals with a lasgun, perhaps they have been
trained for some time, but it may be that they are absolutely green. I think
they would get a veteran status (not a elite one) after three or four
battles fighting hard. Of course, there are BIG casualties, but they are
cannon fodder.

>On this background it is fair to say that for a SM to get veteran status
>and
>be transferred to the 1st company he would have to be in service for say 50
>to 100 years, either way much longer than a regular IG would survive on the
>battlegrounds. This means that to give IG vets both +1 CAF, +1 moral and
>be
>capable of being outside the chain of command is FAR to much.

Well, let me tell you something about history. During Spanish civil war
(1936-39) there were very few regular units, the most of them were people
from the countryside or the suburbs of major cities. After the war, the most
of the losing forces (the republican side) were used to use any kind of gun,
from any nationality, even the enemy ones. The winning forces (the fascist
side) also had this characteristic. Some of the winning forces were sent to
help Germany on the Russian front. They were called "the blue division".
Well, this division fought for some months until the fall of the Reich. They
were veterans of Spanish Civil war, most of them had less than two years of
fighting experience. BUT they were used as frontline fighters because of
their veterany and ability to fight even when isolated from the General HQ.

Sorry for this long story, but what I'm trying to say is that veteran
companies are not so difficult to find. They appear after some months or a
couple of years in warzone. The most valuable fact about them is their
ability to withstand difficult conditions even when deep into the enemy zone
AND their capability to use different weaponary.

How would I design them for IG?
Well I agree with all who have said that it could lead to cheesy games. But
only in part. If I field a lot of veteran Companies, i'll find myself with
small numbers. And IG are different from SM not for their quality BUT for
their speed and SM ability to strike surgically deep in the enemy territory.
I won't be so stupid to field a IG army that has fewer stands tha ny
opponent.

So, OK, let it be a Special Card. Let's call it Veteran Honours (it doesn't
sound so bad). Let it cost 50% extra to the company cost. It would add +1 to
CAF, +1 to morale rolls and be inmune to the loss of Regimental HQ, but
needing the chain of command from his company HQ.
Another possibility would be to use the same rules as for bikes and Rough
Riders

So for a tact. company to become veteran it would cost 900 points (more than
a SM Battle company). You get 30 stands with CAF +1, morale 3 and capable of
taking their own decisions if the regimental Leviathan gets fried (all other
stats remain the same).

>The best thing, I think, is to bury the idea of IG vets, and rather go for
>the special regiments Nils suggested some time ago. They are actualle quite
>interesting and ads a good amount of flavour to the otherwise somewhat gray
>an boring IG inf! That way we also stay more in line with WH 40K.

I still haven't seen these regiments, WOULD anyone mind posting them or
telling me were I can find them?

>(Sorry Albert, just my POW...)

Don't apologise, anyone has the right to express his opinion, even if others
dislike what he says. Anyway, thank you for your comments, I'm happy to see
that people have diferent opinions, and discuss them. This is the way to
improve the game.