RE: [NetEpic ML] Epic WW 2 infantry stuff

From: <jyrki.saari_at_...>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 10:05:28 +0300

[snip]

> > > NS: I say reduce movement rate, to move emphasis avay
> from CC, 5 cm
> > >for infantry
> >
> > Hmmm, doesnt this make the game too slow and tedious?
> >
> NS: Not necessarily, there's a wide range of transports
> for those
> assault troops you need to get into forward positions.
>
> > > NS: I think that we could make use of the number of attacks to
> > >represent elite units! SMG should have 1 attac IMO,
> Machingunners could
> > >fire
> > >bort in the FF fase and the advance fase provided they
> don't move that
> > >turn.
> >
> > Also a good idea. In that case I would suggest at least
> giving SMG troops
> > better to-hit and a higher CAF to reflect their power at
> close quarters
> >
> NS: Higher CAF is a good idea, but is it really a need
> to have bothe
> rifle and SMG infantry??? I think we would be better off with
> one basic type
> of infantry? OK Paratroopers, commandos (move 10cm +
> infiltration!!??) would
> more likely have a higher count of SMGs in their rank. But ordenary
> lineinfantry would almost always be riflemen.

Russians had infantry units armed with SMGs. They were quick to copy the
finnish Suomi SMG after the winter war.

> > > NS: -6 is perhaps a bit hefty even for the 88, -3 for other
> > >Anti-tank guns should be considered.
> >
> > Just a suggestion. -4 perhaps? Anyone have any
> documentation on how often
> > various AT guns penetrated various tanks?
> >
> NS: Nope but this statistic is most probably out there
> somwhere, but
> antitank guns where much feared by tank crews. I know that
> certain german
> tank commanders marked two stripes on their gunbarrel for
> each anti tank gun
> they took out, and only one for each tank. The 88 is known to
> be the best
> antitank gun of the war so it should be a good weapon indeed.

If we don't want to do calculations ourselves, I'd suggest using an existing
game as a starting point for the penetrations. ASL would be my choice, but
there probably are other as good games I am not aware of. Unlike Peter I
haven't played nearly everything out there.