RE: Re: [NetEpic ML] Invisible Lictors

From: <jyrki.saari_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 09:18:08 +0200

[snip]

> Why must we know in advance where their command units are
> but not target
> them, why can I destroy any building or barrage any
> centimeter of the board
> at my whim, but not a command unit or scout type. These
> rules make no sense
> to any strategist worthy of breathing the air of life.

So, obviously, everyone who doesn't agree with you IYONSHO falls into the
category of "not worthy of breathing the air of life"? Think about this a
bit.

>This
> inept reasoning
> has left what little spirit or resemblance to the Warhammer
> 40k universe may
> have had to offer in the shit can.

And now our reasoning is inept. Thank you very much. This list USED to be
quite a polite place, you know.

>What you've created in
> its wake is a mere
> clone of a strategy intensive game that leaves no mystery or
> surprise.

And what is that "strategy intensive game" you are talking about, oh grand
exalted master? WH40K, perhaps, the great game of superheroes?

>If
> the only alteration to the strategy is die roles, then I pity
> the poor
> imagining of those unfortunate enough to waste a moments
> breath in playing
> it.

There's quite a bit more in NetEpic than dice rolls. Like the way different
units are used to the greatest effect, for example.

> So while you may placate yourselves with the thought that
> there are some
> out here reading into the rules and coming up with wild
> theories as to their
> use, spend a simple quite moment in eager contemplation of
> what the rules
> mean to you in the first place. They are a tool to
> facilitate the enjoyment
> of a reasonably true to form strategy game that can be
> enjoyed and completed
> in a reasonable length of time and setup.
> I would suggest that most if not all of those who play this
> type of game
> are in a small group that keeps to themselves and rarely get
> involved in any
> tournament style interaction. This allows for house rules
> that may differ
> greatly from the basic rules available for those incapable of
> delving any
> further than mere observance of simplistic and unrealistic
> rules.

This isn't ASL. If you want a 100+ page book of core rules, then that's what
you should go and get yourself involved with. I don't like all the
simplifications in NE but at least I can accept the goal that has been set
for this game: to be simple enough so you don't have to spend most of the
playing time reading rules.

Oh, and we do have a rule prohibithing flamethrowers, so next time could you
please leave it out?

> You and
> doubtless others have a different opinion.

Definetely, at least on the more insulting parts of a certain unnamed
message.

Jyrki Saari

-There is no such thing as free lunch because eating takes time and time is
money.