Re: [NetEpic ML] Re: New file uploaded to netepic

From: Peter Ramos <primarch_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 10:46:29 -0500

Hi!

> I (just for once in a lifetime) disagree with you Peter.
> Chaos has loads of unique and rather powerfull units like daemon engines,
> the games coolest infantry, lots of nasty daemons and virtually a special
> rules for 75% of the untis or something.

Power is relative. Demons are powerful no doubt, but you must manuever
them into positiion to make them work for you. What is a blood letter or
pink horror worth if it cant make it into close combat? what is a demon
engine worth when it cant reach the 50cm minimum range at which most of
its weapons are efffective?

Remember, demons for all their power can only walk. It takes a long time
to reach where they are going. The amazing powers of greater demons are
usally a paultry 15cm range (magnus being the only exception), how easy
is it to get your demon in position to do the most harm? Depends on your
opponents, but thats what the game is all about. Demon engines are
great, but hacve you ever been in a situation where the with longer
ranged weapons vaporizes them with tempest or shadowswords before they
fire a single shot? Power is relative. The reasons for special rules
become clearer, without them they are dead ducks, you need but play a
game with chaos with out cards or speical rules.

> I think they compares very well with the power of aspect warriors, imperial
> artillery etc. without taking extra card sin addition.

What artillery do they have to compete? chaos cannons? not a very good
piece, powerful in extreme and likely to blow up. IG have chaos beat
when it comes to artillery, even their average artillery is far better
than anything chaos can muster. Super heavies no contest either, demons
engines are no match for baneblades, shadwoswords, etc. Close combat
troops? chaos has very good ones, no doubt. But have you seen what
striking scorpions can do to beastmen, minotaurs and trolls? 3d6 +6
against infantry is awesome, even world eater with poer on tread lightly
against these guys. Beleive me they need that edge, without it they are
meat!

> What I would like for the cards was some kind of inherent risk when using
> them. Just to show that chaos isnt safe.
> In the background to Horus Heresy (the board game) the emperor says to Horus
> that he cannot master chaos, chaos has mastered him.

Ork tech works this way not chaos magic, once "gifted" it works pretty
flawlessly by all accounts. What happened to horus was he thought the
power emanated from himself not chaos, he was wrong. The issue of
mastery here is about him thinking he had all the power he needed when
he needed it. What powers he had DID always work when needed, as long as
he is faithful to chaos. Thats the nature of chaos magic, its whimsical
in the sense that it worls for those deserving of it, unlike ork tech
which is inheresntly unreliable.

> So it seems a bit unfair for chaos players to use their cards as safe
> powerboosters, since they would stand a very real chance of corruption,
> mutation and insanity

True, but this is a long range effect, beyond the scope of a miniatures
game and more suited to RPG. Chaos cards can and do win games when used
wisely, question is how many games would chaos win without them? I've
tried this back in the day its not a pretty sight.

Thanks for the stimulating discussion!

Peter