Opinions wanted

From: <jyrki.saari_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 14:40:24 +0300

I have been developing my own Marine chapter (The Winter Lions) for some
time, and I would like to hear your opinions about one specific thing.
Namely, I have painted both the Terminator and Veteran company, and even
used them both in a particularly large game 10000+ points per side back when
I still had opponents. I lost that battle but the companies looked great
together, and I started to think about organization where both were present.
Obviously, this calls for some heavy restrictions on other troops, so before
yelling "CHEDDAR!" and loading your Inferno Cannon please read the whole
post.

        The rationale is that the Winter Lions are the latest space marie
chapter founded. They are stationed at a region bordering on the wilds of
the eastern fringe in the Imperial Borderlands, and have been engaged in
heavy pacification campaign against Orks and other things for most of their
existence. This constant (even by marine standards) battle has created a
large number of veterans, so the second company is the veteran company,
while the truly best are in the first company which is the terminator
company. Unfortunately the constant battle has also resulted in heavy
casualties leading to rapid replacement rates, and so both 9th and 10th
companies are scout companies. Also, the Winter Lions are stretched pretty
thin and so each company must be capable of independent operations, meaning
that all of the 3rd through 8th companies are battle companies. There are no
assault, devastator or tactical companies in the chapter organization. The
1st and 2nd companies are the Chapter's breakthrough forces and as such are
fielded only to spearhead the most important assaults. To take either, you
must have at least 2000 points of other troops; to take both you must have
at least 4000 points of other troops.

        The question is: are the restrictions enough to balance the ability
to take both Terminator and Veteran company at the same time or are some
further restrictions needed?

Jyrki Saari

-There is no such thing as free lunch because eating takes time and time is
money.