Re: [Epic] Problems with the old system

From: Spatula <shupes_at_...>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 11:01:32 -0500

> From: "Seth Ben-Ezra" <Azathoth_at_...>
>
> Hello all you happy Epic players (and all of the pissed-off ones, too)!
> We have been ranting and raving about Epic 40K now for some time and I
> think that we have gotten most of it worked out of our system. (Well,
> maybe not :] ) But, while we may love Epic, I think that it's safe to
> say that it's not a perfect system. I have heard people say that the
> system has its faults. Since I have only started playing recently and
> still think that the game is flawless :) I would appreciate knowing
> what people feel are some of the weaknesses and what new rules have
> been devised to fill these gaps.

        One of the biggest problems in my mind is the collossal
advantage gained by winning initiative, because of the manner in
which the movement phase is handled. I've seen a bunch of different
solutions to it; right now I've been playing with treating the
movement phase like the first fire & advance phases - i.e. I move
a unit, you move a unit, etc. Although that favors whoever has the
most units... well it's a sticky problem.

        The most noticable problem is the obvious lack of real
play-testing - new units with special-case powers whose interactions
with other special cases are not made clear (doomweaver vs void
shields), special-case powers whose effects are not clear at all
(wave serpent), etc. This sort of thing is what the Q&As are for,
but it would have been nice for GW to give the customers more
complete rules to begin with.

Scott
shupes_at_...