Re: [Epic] Creating new version of Epic

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 10:43:18 -0500 (EST)

Brett Hollindale <agro_at_...> writes:
> OK this looks like the second person in two days whi hasn't read TL page 24
> "Psychic Saves".

  Add me to the list, because I've read it many times and interpret it
differently.

> Let me quote: "Whenever a psychic power is used on a model with functioning
> shields, on a 1-3 the psychic effect is dispersed. On a 4-6 the Psychic
> power penetrates the shields and the attack takes effect as normal".

        What you've stated here is that void shields stop psychic
powers on a 4+.

> And from the same page "Some weapons like Warp and Vortex missiles,
> (and a few others) use warp energy... Units with a psychic saving
> throw can roll to save against theses attacks as if they were psychic
> attacks."

        What this section says is that if you have a psychic saving
throw, it functions normally against Warp, Vortex, etc. The previous
paragraph describes how void shields and psychic attacks interact, but
never states that it is a psychic save. IMHO, they would have merged
the paragraphs together and stated it better if that were the case.

        Void shields are too much of a pain to punch through anyways,
since I'm very afraid of fielding anything larger than a Falcon in my
games. My holo fields just get barraged. (Sour grapes from an Eldar
player :)

> >I think this rant is a prime example of why the SHV's ought to have hit
> >templates and battle honors
>
> And my rant (in another post) is a good reason why they are already way too
> cheesey...

  I agree and disagree here. I don't feel that SHVs should have
battle honors, but that's because I don't like the idea of battle
honors (too much like wargear and power gaming) in general. However,
if you're going to escalate the power level by allowing battle honors,
I see no reason to leave the Squats out unless they're winning the
vast majority of the games anyway.

Mark