Re: [Epic] Creating new version of Epic

From: Brett Hollindale <agro_at_...>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 09:52:03 GMT

>>But squat SHVs get wasted pretty easily IMHO easier than titans.
>
>Especially against those _at_%$@#&$%*!!!! Warp and Vortex missles! Everytime
>I play my Marine friend with my Squats he'll take along a Warlord or two
>and give each one a Vortex missle. That gives him a two in three chance of
>sinking one of my SHV's on the *first* turn, sometimes before it gets a
>chance to fire.

OK this looks like the second person in two days whi hasn't read TL page 24
"Psychic Saves".
Let me quote: "Whenever a psychic power is used on a model with functioning
shields, on a 1-3 the psychic effect is dispersed. On a 4-6 the Psychic
power penetrates the shields and the attack takes effect as normal". And
from the same page "Some weapons like Warp and Vortex missiles, (and a few
others) use warp energy... Units with a psychic saving throw can roll to
save against theses attacks as if they were psychic attacks."

What this means to me is that a bunch of Reavers shooting at that chaos
idiots Warlords with Vortex missiles have about a 1 in 6 chance (each) of
doing 1d6 hits on the Warlords. (Not a great chance, but OK) And someone
popping your SHV's has the same 1 in 6 with a vortex and a hefty 2 in 6 with
the warp missiles.

(Probability computations are based on a vortex missile scattering 1 in 3,
and a warp missile only hitting a SHV on a 3+. If hit, the target gets a
50/50 saving throw.)

Warp missiles are a bit like Russian Roulette - do you feel lucky?

>And that's only if he fires both missles at one SHV. By
>shooting at different targets, my potential for loss is much higher. He
>just sits back and tallies up his experience points for his Titans, who
>just happen to be sitting right in front of one objective each. Battle
>honors, battle honors, battle honors... At least he dosen't get Battle
>Groups...
>
>I think this rant is a prime example of why the SHV's ought to have hit
>templates and battle honors

And my rant (in another post) is a good reason why they are already way too
cheesey...

> (*not* those stinky ones in the Cit. Journal).
>And about this rant: sorry if it sounds like I'm whining, it's been a long
>day.
>
>>--
>>zeeman_at_...
>
> Perrin

Sorry about my rant (actually I'm not that sorry!) I have no doubt that what
I have said about SHV's is accurate in every respect.

Agro