Re: [Epic] Creating new version of Epic

From: Brett Hollindale <agro_at_...>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 21:54:00 GMT

At 09:01 AM 15/1/97 -0500, you wrote:

>> >Especially against those _at_%$@#&$%*!!!! Warp and Vortex missles! Everytime
>> >I play my Marine friend with my Squats he'll take along a Warlord or two
>> >and give each one a Vortex missle. That gives him a two in three chance of
>> >sinking one of my SHV's on the *first* turn, sometimes before it gets a
>> >chance to fire.
>>
>> OK this looks like the second person in two days whi hasn't read TL page 24
>> "Psychic Saves".
>> Let me quote: "Whenever a psychic power is used on a model with functioning
>> shields, on a 1-3 the psychic effect is dispersed. On a 4-6 the Psychic
>> power penetrates the shields and the attack takes effect as normal". And
>> from the same page "Some weapons like Warp and Vortex missiles, (and a few
>> others) use warp energy... Units with a psychic saving throw can roll to
>> save against theses attacks as if they were psychic attacks."
>>
>> What this means to me is that a bunch of Reavers shooting at that chaos
>> idiots Warlords with Vortex missiles have about a 1 in 6 chance (each) of
>> doing 1d6 hits on the Warlords. (Not a great chance, but OK) And someone
>> popping your SHV's has the same 1 in 6 with a vortex and a hefty 2 in 6 with
>> the warp missiles.
>>

><snip>
>
>I'm going to have to disagree here. The void shield's psychic
>disruption effect is not the same as a psychic save. The rules under
>psychic save on the same page even indicate this. In the case of a
>psychic power that merely does damage (Weirdboy tower, for example) it
>knocks down void shields like normal and, once it penetrates the
>shields, the model gets its psychic save, if any. Void shields just
>have the potential for interfereing with actual psychic powers, not any
>display of psychic force.
>
>Seth Ben-Ezra
>Great Wolf

I'm going to have to agree with you about Wierdboyz (since it specifically
defines how they work - ie they must knock down the void shields like a
normal attack) but I don't see how the same argument applies to Warp amd
Vortex missiles.

For my money, it is spelled out in black and white. "units with a psychic
save save against these warp attacks as if they were psychic attacks" and
units with void shields save against psychic attacks 50/50."

Agro