Re: [Epic] Nukes in Epic universe

From: <oki_at_...>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 14:31:52 +0800

At 12:37 AM 1/16/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I had an odd question that I thought that I would post to the list.
>Both 40K and Epic exclude mention or use of nuclear weapons or other
>mass-destruction weapons (with the exception of Exterminatus). This
>makes sense on 40K's scale :) but what about Epic? If I had a large
>spaceship in orbit and detected an incoming armored column, I'd want to
>call in a nuclear strike. To quote Ripley, "I say we take off and nuke
>the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure." So, why isn't
>this a part of Epic? There's the easy answer of "It would make the
>game boring", but Dirtside II apparently does it.

How do they do it ? I mean, a nuke (even a small one) will have a blast
radius (fireball effect, heat effect, radiation effect) of kilometres. I
doubt that Epic battles are fought over kilometres, maybe if we have 200 000
points :) And imagine a blast radius (super barrage template) of 100-200 cm
(min) with -10 modifier (only the Imperator would stand a chance). And not
to mention the EM wave which will short out all your electrical equipment.

Comparison against Titans fusion generator meltdown would not be a good one
- after all a nuke is meant to cause humongous damage, whereas the fusion
generator is meant more for generating energy. Just compare Chernobyl
disaster against Hiroshima explosion.

Regards
Oki