Re: [Epic] Psychic Phase [was: Re: Titan Legions]

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 13:08:41 -0500 (EST)

Brett Hollindale <agro_at_...> writes:
> LAND TRAINS:- Try a land train with a single battle car (Rad Bomb).

        I feel that the land train is much more effective with a full
complement of battlecars. (Don't take the second flamethrower car, of
course)

> CYCLOPS:-

  This thing isn't really that impressive except for the Hellfury
cannon. I think that this is agreed upon.
  However, I haven't been THAT impressed by the Hellfury cannon. It
can punch through a couple of void shields and then still hit, but a
Gatling blaster can do similar things. And once it hits, unless I'm
shooting at a 2d6 saving throw unit (Imperator, Mega-gargant?), I'd
rather hit with a pair of Volcano cannon. And it only gets to fire
half the time, if the opponent is ready for it. The other half of the
time, you can nullify the Hellfury completely by putting one unit on
advance orders. I'd much rather have a Warlord than a Cyclops, even
if it is 50 points more expensive and coughs up more VPs.
  I believe that the Cyclops falls into anti-Cheese rather than Cheese.

> Artillery.
> Super heavy artillery that can still fire when close assaulted!

  So it gets one last shot off. All of my Eldar tanks can do that.

> Snap fire weapons.
I don't believe it's super-heavy.

> Gyrocopters.
> Faster than other skimmers, 360 degree fire arc (better than other
> skimmers,but cheese IS round isn't it?), the usual (for squats) outrageous
> break point...

  Also too expensive to waste in CC. It's just a fast gun platform,
that will always be on advance orders. At 3 for 200?, they're
wonderful to see because they actually die relatively easily, unlike
the rest of the squats. (I forget the exact costs, but the company is
also fun to face because it doesn't take massed firepower to take one
down.)

> Other units:
> Other units that cost the same as anyone elses units and have better break
> points thus giving up VP harder than other armies... (eg. Squat tarantulas
> have a break point of 4 out of 5 instaed of the usual 3 out of 5.)

        But you don't have to break as many companies, because when
you finally break them, you get extra VPs for doing so. You just have
to remember to concentrate your firepower.

        Tarantulas break? I assumed they were like robots. Besides,
3/5, 4/5, it doesn't matter. They're still one of the best units in
the game either way.

> Is this enough back up?

        Not for me. They have quite a few good units, but only the
Overlord and Tarantula, IMHO, are particularly cheesy. (I shudder at
the thought of facing more than a company of Overlords) This is true
for all armies. If you're trying to establish that the Squats can be
cheesy if they want to, I won't contest it. All armies can. (I had
forgotten about the all Artillery + Hydra IG force)

        What the Squats have, unlike most armies, is a lack of
weaknesses. The problem for me is that it's really hard to exploit
what weaknesses they have without being called a cheese monger. (They
have a lack of psykers and Titans. Taking too many warlocks is not
exactly friendly, but the only solution I've found.)

        Which brings me to a question. Can a unit spot for indirect
fire if

1) It has been tossed around by an eldritch storm but was thrown to
the front of the storm so can still see the target.
2) It has been psychic locked.

I had made the mistake of assuming both before the game started. :(

Mark